Search This Blog

Wednesday 4 March 2020

Day 8: Excursions

Today we split into groups for visits. A few stayed behind to stitch. I went with a group to the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust and Anne Hathaway's Cottage.












At the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust Shakespeare Centre in Henley Street the textile curators had selected seven items for us to look at. There was a Bible with embroidered cover, a psalter, a man's cap, three coifs and a woman's court jacket, all dating between 1600 and 1630.  All were exquisite. While I have photos for my own study, they are not for publication.


We were fortunate to have with us Sarah Thursfield and Jessica Grimm, both with enormous expertise in textiles and clothing of this era. They commented on the pieces. Their interaction with the curators provided a rich and privileged experience for us. I will be happy to talk in more detail to interested members of the Embroiderers' Guild of SA.


The views from the windows of the Shakespeare Centre were in themselves worth going for. I love the landscapes of sky, cloud, brick and trees.











At this time of year the trees are sculptural skeletons. We didn't get to see this courtyard close-up but it looked interesting from above.




I find rooftops and chimneys in England irresistible.


These were all taken from the windows of the room in which we examined the embroideries.

































Next door to the Shakespeare Centre is the Moorcroft Centre with it's window that enticed quite a few of our group inside.

They were discouraged, however, by the reminder outside of human folly.





Taxis took us from here to Anne Hathaway's Cottage, where Spring is in the air.


















I didn't take the tour inside the cottage, preferring to explore the grounds and, of course, the shop.


The cottage is much as I remember it.  It was, I think, January 1985 that I was last here, but I  presume it has not much changed.























I don't, however remember this structure in the garden. It certainly didn't play recitals of the Sonnets as it does now.


We returned to our hotel for lunch, after which some went on to Shakespeare's New Place, which is a stone's throw from our hotel. I chose to do more work on my Midsummer Pillowe. I have some time next week to catch up on things I might have missed in Stratford.


I spent most of the afternoon stitching in the company of a few others - mostly also working on the Midsummer Pillowe.





I finished Oberon and made good progress on Titania. Tomorrow we start on our second project, and I will struggle to work on this much further.


Before dinner Laura made a presentation about the Appleby Festival and St Andrew's Retreat next year. Much excitement in the group and food for thought. I'm not sure what I want/will be able to do.


Two of our number have been called away because of deaths in their immediate families in the last 24 hours. Our sympathies are with them both. It was a sobering note on what was otherwise, for most of us, an interesting and thought-provoking day. A blog post does not capture the interactions and empathy that is generated in the company of like-minded people.

1 comment:

  1. You always drink in your heritage, when you are away on these trips, dear Jillian! Amazing to see your beautiful needlework items 'growing' - as do your friendships! D xx

    ReplyDelete