Wednesday turned out to be a great day, in spite of rain. I began at 9.00am with my annual dermatology appointment, this time with a new dermatologist as my regular one is on maternity leave. I had a few things to check, one of which, on my face, turns out to be a basal cell carcinoma. I made an appointment with a plastic surgeon for today.
Back on Wednesday I was home well in time to catch the bus to my ASO lunchtime concert but when I reached the bus stop it was raining and cold. I had not thought to bring an umbrella or waterproof coat, so I checked the program and abandoned the concert. Pathetic, perhaps, but I was expecting a granddaughter for a knitting lesson at 1.30 and getting ready for that was more enticing.
We had a good time. She made half a really even, neat blanket square. I really enjoyed myself. Within minutes of her leaving the rainbow appeared.
The same night I managed to capture the waxing gibbous moon rising, just a few hours before it turned into a full buck moon - a term we have apparently adopted in Australia although there’s no chance of deer losing antlers in July!
Quite early on Friday morning I had an email from the company hosting my website to say they had taken it offline because the email contact link had been hacked and was being used to distribute spam. The instructions for a fix were beyond my ability, so I contacted the friend who has done occasional admin and maintenance work for me over the last 6 years.
I have neglected the site for the last few years. It began as a communication channel for the consultancy company Jim started and we ran together until his death. I added tributes to him and finally, the Baby Boomer Teacher interviews. Once I published those in book form I regarded the site as complete. I wanted it to remain online as a legacy. The software has not been updated but the content remains. My friend removed the contact form for me altogether. I had added it in case old friends needed a way to contact me, but it has not been used for that for several years. Once that was done the site was once again live, but the hosting company suggested the subscription widget might also be a problem.
I realised I had installed that myself and should be able to remove it. It had no purpose since I am not adding to the site. While I was having a go, trying to remember how to add and remove content, it disappeared. Turns out my friend got there before me! I’m extremely grateful and the shawl I’ve started will be hers when finished. The website needs a serious update and backup, which I think is a bit beyond me and which I’m reluctant to impose on her. Another thing to think about. At least the hosting company has confirmed the site is no longer generating spam!
I managed to do a load of washing, hang it out and shop for Monday dinner while waiting for my friend to be free to work on the website. My census form had arrived on Thursday, so I logged on and completed it.
I relaxed along the way by knitting another Scales of Justice beanie, which is waiting for its pompom.
On Saturday I thought I should add a simple embroidery project to my current mix, and chose a Kingfisher from the Quaker Museum. It turned out to be far from simple. It is worked on the heavy textured natural wool fabric woven for the Quaker tapestry. The preferred method begins by using a light board to trace the design on to the supplied calico backing. I couldn't find my light box. The search resulted in my cleaning out 2 cupboards and a bookshelf, sorting Christmas card, linens, photograph and a scanner. Some went into the bin, some into tidier, more logical homes. The light box did not materialise although I found its charge cord. On Sunday I went to OfficeWorks and bought another. This one will be stored in its red box, where I can hardly fail to find it. 
I traced the design with an archival pen and followed the instructions to tediously work the outline in stem stitch through two layers in the colours that correspond roughly to the finished image.
The method dies work. Enough of the outline shows up on the right side - and starts to look attractive. At that point I returned to knitting the shawl.
A message from an interstate friend reported that there is interest in at least a dozen of the printed Bishop Bags amongst members of an organisation supporting the ordination of women. I have ordered them. Printing and delivery takes about 3 weeks. Each one will need to be slightly adjusted using an archival pen, so I will have a job to do towards the end of the month. It’s gratifying to see them being put to use.
After assembling the sausage and vegetable bake for dinner, I was just about to head out shopping yesterday when the window cleaner arrived. Communication isn't the business's strong pont! All was well. I got organised quickly and he did a good job. Meanwhile I had a message to say my replacement iPad Mini was ready to pick up.
When the window cleaner left I dashed out to buy bread and picked up the iPad Mini, a cover and pen. I haven't set it up yet: I might get uninterrupted time to do it tomorrow ..
Today I ticked two important boxes. Around midday I donned one of my new bathers and ventured back to the pool. It's the full six weeks since my ear-piercing repair so I should be well over the risk of infection. I swam 650 metres and walked another 100. I'm back!
Late this afternoon I saw the plastic surgeon about the BCC on my face. As the dermatologist also explained, a biopsy would determine whether this is superficial, in which case it could be treated with cream diligently for six weeks, with blistering, weeping discomfort, but no resulting scar. I chose the alternative, to proceed straight to excision which will leave a crescent shaped scar. How big the scar is will depend on how extensive the cut.
It will take about half an hour, I can drive home and need to keep it dry for 24 hours. It's happening on 1 September - I begin Spring scarred but hopefully bcc free!
I've progreessed the Balvraid Hap. I've just changed to a longer cord connecting the needles. It now has 150 stitches on the needle. Increasing one stitch per row, I need another 35 rows before I can begin the lace border. Better get on with it.
No comments:
Post a Comment