Search This Blog

Tuesday, 29 September 2026

Post 657 Preparations

 

Most of last week’s dramas have been resolved. The plumber arrived mid-morning Wednesday, took the cistern apart, found two broken parts, went to the supplier for replacements and fixed it. I have asked them to organise a replacement of the water filter under the kitchen sink and a check of all my plumbing connections. That's booked for tomorrow morning at 8.15am. I hate the early start, but I want the job done.
My Geek was booked to come around 6.30pm the same day, but when, to avoid embarrassment, I checked mid-afternoon, the TV internet was restored, so after discussion, the visit was called off.

I finished the cross stitch for my neighbour late that night and delivered it on Friday. She seems pleased, and I am very happy to have it done. She has framed it and called me today to show me. The white spot is a light reflection.

On Friday I woke with pain behind my left eye. The pain was different to the stye episode but I followed the same procedure of lubrication and hot packs and it was largely resolved by the end of the day. I had intended to swim, but didn't. Whatever the problem was, a swimming pool felt risky. Instead I tried to vary my activity - a bit of knitting (much, much easier on eyes than cross stitch!), a bit of washing, a bit of tidying, a bit of reading, a bit of watering, some neck exercises, a bit of shopping. The program seemed to do the trick. By Saturday afternoon I could read and note some of The Romance of Lace  which arrived on Friday and will form the basis of a WES talk next year. By dinner time I could participate in our weekly crosswords and string a sentence together.
Book Club on Sunday was a 25 minute drive away in the foothills. For once I used the GPS. It took us a while to settle. One member’s husband has been in and out of hospital with intestinal issues along with dementia - a huge stress. There is empathy and experience in the group. It is nevertheless somewhat depressing. We focused to discuss our way through the 48 crime books we had read between us. The one I was a bit interested in following up was the Sister Veronica series by Sarah Sheridan, however, after reading some of the Goodreads reviews, I think I'll give them a miss.

There were six of us for dinner last night. We spent a lot of time catching up and a bit of time making plans. The approaching weekend is a long one and the two youngest granddaughters are going to Sydney for a concert and staying with my brother. Fionn is heading to the McLaren Vale for a break. Unfortunately, they are missing a visit from my Canberra daughter, here for a few day's work at the end of this week. We have elaborate plans for the first 5 hours of her arrival tomorrow - the chance they have of catching up. 
I had intended to shop today for the visit but decided that woud be better done tomorrow, to ensure maximum freshness of food. As I mentioned at the beginning, the plumber is coming early tomorrow to check all my fittings. This means emptying cupboards under all sinks so he can access the pipes. It took me a good part of the day to find baskets or boxes and then empty the cupboards into them. They are now standing around the place. I haven't examined the contents in detail, but I probably don't need it all. 

I also removed all my craft bags and boxes from the spare room so it can be used for sleeping. I'm hopeful the plumber will be finished not long after 9 so I can put everything back under the sinks and go shopping for my visitor's stay before heading to the airport. I am hoping there is no major plane delay to unravel all the elaborate plans for tomorrow evening. I'm so looking forward to seeing her.
It's been 35C today but should drop to 25 tomorrow and a bit lower for the rest of the week. I shalln't be complaining. Rain is also forecast. The Flapjacks Kalanchoe will welcome rain.  I've watered it, but it looks a bit less than its peak.








  I've worked steadily on the second beekeeper cushion. I have 12 pods to go, plus 4 halves. I'd like to finish by the weekend so it can be used. 

No comments:

Post a Comment