Search This Blog

Friday 13 March 2020

Day 17: Arts Heritage Centre & change of plan

Over the last couple of days I have been fluctuating between (1) relaxing into a week at the Mitre Hotel Hampton Court while waiting for my 2 day course at the RSN and (2) changing my flight home. This morning I had another serious look at altering my flight. My finger paused over the button for the best part of a minute - then I pressed it. As a result I am booked to leave Heathrow  next Wednesday at 11.55 am and arrive in Adelaide at 7.15 pm Thursday.  This means I have cancelled my 2 day course at the RSN. 

My concern is not so much contracting the virus but finding myself locked out of Australia if the government extends its European travel ban to the UK. It’s a bit of a long shot at the moment but as things are changing rapidly I’d like to be home sooner rather than later. I don't think I can relax at the Mitre while wondering if my flight will take off.

Next Wednesday’s flight is on the same schedule on which I was originally booked - even the same seats! While I could have had flights sooner, l had to alter either my route or connection. It will cost me - but less than the cost of staying.

At times like this I just want to be at home.

It took me a while to organise this and subsequent hotel and class changes so I did not get to breakfast until 9.40 am , forgetting that on weekdays breakfast finishes at 9.30. Staff cleaning tables as the stragglers finished told me firmly that breakfast was finished. I didn’t argue so took myself off to my stitching corner. Soon my favourite staffer, Lilliana, arrived to check my stitching. When she discovered I had missed breakfast she asked if I’d like coffee - and croissants. Soon she had rustled up a more than adequate breakfast . Yar boo sucks to grumpy wait staff!

When I had eaten and cleaned my hands, I set to work on the plaited braid pea.


I am pleased with this. This is definitely a stitch that improves with repetition. I'm getting there.




My plan was to visit the Heritage Arts Centre, which did not open until 1.30 pm.  I walked down to the river.


There was not a lot happening. The magnolia tree is magnificent.










It was still only 1pm, so I called into the Cancer Council Op Shop. In addition to used items they sell a range of sewing kits and packaged accessories.




I liked this pack of zippers - which gave me an idea.


By now the Heritage Arts Centre was about to open.  The Entrance is marked by yarn bombing.

On the pamphlet that led me here, the centre is simple billed as "Heritage Arts Centre". Its website has it as 'Slaughter House Heritage Arts Centre'. 





The building was apparently a 15th century mill, a 16th/17th pub (The Crown) an 18th century rope walk and a 19th century butchery.

The last is the explanation for the name, and for the equipment displayed in the main room.



There are displays of heritage items - most of which I have used at one time or another in my life!



A charity, Escape Arts, manages the site, running a lego club for kids and engaging in community projects, such as the re- upholstering of this chair,  which had been the favourite of Arthur Weatherhead,  an electrician at the RST.


The group clearly does a good job of engaging the community in both the past and present day art enterprises.








This section of Stratford is picturesque and well-maintained. Some signs, like the one on the bank, seem redundant.




Back at the hotel I had what has become my regular lunch. The soup is very good. So are the scones.








By 5.30 pm I had finished the blackwork piece - or more accurately, the plaited braid stitch piece. It is far from perfect but I am pleased with it. I got the hang of it and can do the stitch without looking at the instructions. The trick is in the tension and spacing. It is much harder in gold passing thread than in perle, but  I did get into the rhythm.

When it was finished I tried out my zip idea. I think it will work. This will be my pouch for goldwork tools








and this will be the pouch for keeping silk threads. Reckon it will work.


With that sorted, I rang my friend Christine Thatcher and sorted out the problems of the world for the best part of an hour. She approves my decision to return home early. Although we won't be able to meet this visit we will talk again in a couple of days time. These friendships are why I keep coming.

Last day in Stratford tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment