Search This Blog

Saturday 14 March 2020

Day 18: By the Avon

After breakfast this morning I worked for about an hour on the Muncaster Orange until my room was serviced. Not, regretfully, in my chosen corner of the lounge which was occupied by strangers having breakfast. There was, however, a good spot in the window in the bar.

It is Saturday, and the place is buzzing. I listen to two elderly men teaching a third friend to do the cryptic crossword. He wants to learn. In between teaching they discuss the horses running today at Cheltenham.

Once my room is serviced I empty my bag all over my bed and repack it with some care and wash some smalls. Wouldn't do to pack dirty clothes. It fits quite nicely.


I walk down to the river. It's overcast and cool but there are plenty of people about.  I had a look in the RST shop. It's an interesting collection, and includes some packs of small fabric squares from costumes made for the 2019 season. Of course I buy one. There were also packs of larger pieces from the Winter Season- almost fat quarters,  in muted Winter colours.










Along the river the swans are out in force, cadging from the parents who have brought their children to be terrified by feeding them.





I love the swans - but they are pretty fearsome. There is nothing in their expressions to suggest they are friendly.
















They are nevertheless photogenic.

Further up the river there's another group of them being fed. My original lot sense a better deal and paddle furiously to compete











only to be disillusioned.





















Swans are not the only birds hanging around for their chance.



















The canal lock is deserted. It fell into disrepair but was reopened in 1968 by the Queen Mother.



I'm sure it gets more use in Summer.









I didn't check if this is actor or bard stepping up to speak.




I was distracted by this piano man, playing and singing Music Hall songs as he pedalled his piano in a circle along the river, collecting donations in the hat attached to  the side of the piano.










There were plenty of people out and about, holding hands and showing no signs of Covid19 panic.










This tree was my the most beautiful thing I saw on my walk




especially when the birds were wheeling.

Back at the hotel I did more stitching in the bar, had my soup for late lunch (along with a ham, cheese and pickle sandwich instead of scones - how good am I!).  This time my companions were couples, English and European. Manners, I notice, dictate they whisper so as not to disturb others. Larger groups usually feel free to talk loudly.


As I contemplated my morning's purchased, it struck me that the fabric packs I had rejected might make really appropriate lining and backing for the pouch I intend to make from Nicola's Midsummer Pillowe. So back I went, and indeed, I think this pack has at least three possible pieces. So the Midsummer Pillow may be constructed with the Royal Shakespeare Theatre's 2019 Winter Season costuming! There's a task to keep me occupied if I have to self-isolate when I return home!



As I walked back to my hotel, the bicycle piano man was just turning into Sheep Street and passed me by with a rendition of "It was just one of those things".



I finished my stitching in my room. The bar on a Saturday evening is not conducive to solitary stitching.

I finished the first orange, which pleases me no end. I shall put this away now until tomorrow. It will become my Mitre Project. I have my travel project to keep me happy until then.

I've picked up my wallet from the hotel safe, the washing is nearly dry and bags ready to receive the last of the toiletries, cords and devices.


Tomorrow is Mitre day!

No comments:

Post a Comment