Search This Blog

Thursday 27 February 2020

Day 2: Getting to Stratford-on-Avon

I arrived at the Arden Hotel, Stratford-on-Avon, 28 hours and 15 minutes after I left my apartment in Adelaide. This might seem a long time to some, but to someone who first travelled from Sydney to London 52 years ago, this is pretty good travelling!

It was surprisingly to me, a nostalgic trip. Qantas has new videos to outline the safety features and instructions of aircraft. The video on the 737 Adelaide-Perth leg cleverly used footage shot in various cities around the world serviced by Qantas to illustrate individual elements such as brace position, seat belt closure, escape slide position. The Perth-London Dreamliner video used historical settings and uniforms from the 1950s through decades to today. It reminded me so much of my mother, who began working for Qantas in their staff canteen at Mascot airport in 1959. She was soon in love with Qantas, its history, the planes, the pilots, the 'hosties' - and travelled on most of the planes in the video in the more than 25 years she continued working for them as a file clerk. My brother and I heard all about it - the history, the changes, the daily interactions. It was often tedious, but left me with a strong sense of the impact of aviation on Australia. I really appreciate that Qantas values that history and maintains it as part of its culture and brand. My mother would have loved it.

On the first leg to Perth I mostly read, but did begin the first of my grab-and-go travel projects. I chose two bags I bought a few years ago. They are a reasonable size - roughly 35cm x 40cm - and were marketed as bags to be coloured with water-setting pencils or felt-pens. I thought the kids might like them but I had missed the moment. Although the figures are larger than the zenbroidery I have done before, I thought they would make great travel projects, using some of the 5 perle thread I've used for zenbroidery.

The bags are double-sided, with the same print on both sides of the bag. I began with this one.

We were delayed about 40 minutes out of Perth. so no sunset view. It was overcast and raining.

We made up the lost time, but the flight is currently 18, rather than 17 hours,  because the route has been rescheduled over Singapore and further north due to air traffic control issues 'in the Middle East'.




I had the 'supper' then slept, on and off for over 10 hours. I finished a book and got the eyes on one side of the bag to this point. It is a lot of fun working out which stitches and colours to try.

Technologies at airports have advanced since I travelled a year ago. Clearly data is being gathered and shared: no immigration or customs forms required, ePassports dominate and luggage screening happens as you move. Heathrow at 6am was very efficient. I had only a few minutes wait for my airport transport & the 90 minute drive to Stratford-on-Avon.

It was a miserable, wet, misty and cold morning, reminding me again of why I don't drive when on my own in England at this time of year.



So here I am, in the warm and cosy visitors' lounge at the Arden Hotel, with a few hours to wait for my room to be available, the sun struggling out, swans on the river, feeling relatively rested and content.

Might advance that owl.

No comments:

Post a Comment