Search This Blog

Friday 28 February 2020

Day 3: Around Stratford-on-Avon


I spend several hours in this guest lounge yesterday, waiting for my room to be available. It was a fine thing to do - stitching my owl, reading and trying not to listen to the conversations between a hotel function organiser and clients wanting birthday lunches or weddings.









By 12.30 my room was ready. Rooms at the Arden do not have numbers. They are named for trees. Mine is Fir. In spite of that, it is roomy and quite light with a generously sized bathroom and, joy of joy, a walk in shower.


As I was finishing my very early dinner, Melody arrived. It was so great to see her and to catch up briefly. I was beginning to flake but managed to stay more or less awake, watching an old episode of Lewis. until 10 pm. I woke three times during the night but managed to get myself back to sleep. At 6.30am I read emails and news but drifted off again until around 9. Melody and I overlapped at breakfast, then set off to do a little shopping.

It was cold and raining, but every now and then some blue showed through.

















We found a Boots Chemist that carried several things Melody wanted and the Optrex Eye Wash I needed.



We then hit the Antiques shops to find a number of things Melody had on her shopping list. There is no shortage of Antique shops in Stratford and Melody knew where to look. She found several treasures on her wish list.













I was very content watching and keeping my distance from any likely bargains. Diane of the very pink tea room in the Antiques Centre never did open.
















The weather did not improve, but we got back to the Arden in our coats and hats
without getting too wet.




It is a long time since I walked anywhere in the rain!


Our route back took us past the Mercure Shakespeare Hotel, where I will be staying for 9 days after the retreat.

Back at the Arden we had plates of sandwiches as we stitched and talked in the guest lounge. There is a lot to catch up on.
A few others who are clearly retreaters have arrived.


As we were reaching the end of our dinner this evening, Genevieve arrived in the dining room. It was a most joyful reunion! Again, so much to catch up on.

So here I am, in my old routine of blogging before bed.
Tomorrow, if I can be up in time, I'm accompanying Melody to find a watch repairer. It looks as if there is a proper horologist in Stratford.

It depends, of course, on whether I can wake up in time. Tomorrow most of the tutors, organisers and fellow students will arrive.  The weather is not showing any improvement - but it doesn't matter.



No comments:

Post a Comment