Search This Blog

Sunday 15 March 2020

Day 19: To Hampton Court

Well, here I am, back at the Mitre. It feels a bit closer to home. Since yesterday’s post, the Australian Government has ordered all passengers arriving from the UK to self-isolate for 14 days. In some ways this is a relief. It means I will get home. My great fear had been a shut-down. My daughter in Adelaide has generously ordered some supplies for me which she will drop off at my door on Friday morning. Maybe I should regard it as part of the trip and continue the blog till it’s over!

I was up in good time this morning and waiting when my driver arrived. I managed to take a photo in my favourite corner.

My driver proved talkative and interesting. He left Sri Lanka in 1989 as a 14 year old on a German scheme to get Sri Lankan children out of the war zone. He was the only dark child in the Foster House, and the town. He was schooled and looked after. His mother was killed by a missile in 1993.  He returned to Sri Lanka for a month during an amnesty in 1999. His father, although accepting that his son had a new life now in Germany, was most anxious that he should marry. Out of respect he succumbed to his father’s pleas and allowed his father to arrange a marriage for him. He signed the papers but had to return to Germany before he met his wife. His first contact with her was by phone from Germany. She joined him, accepting the marriage and new life, but constantly arguing for them to relocate to England for the sake of their children. From her Sri Lankan education she regarded England as the Mecca of education for their children - the goal being Oxford or Cambridge. Their children are now 16 and 17. The course his now 17 year-old daughter wants to do is not available at either Oxford or Cambridge but the pressure is still there from the mother. He still prefers Germany to England. He thinks it is fairer and more caring. He also says Christmas is wonderful in Germany and you hardly notice it in England!

He thinks the reaction to Corona Virus is ridiculous and is astonished to hear we have restrictions in Australia. He is very worried about his capacity to earn at the moment. Airport transfers have dropped dramatically and drivers are getting far fewer trips. People are not making business trips. 

 A most interesting trip. I didn’t find much time or opportunity to take photos. It rained for the first half an hour then settled into grey. This was a glimpse of the Thorpe Park Amusements Park.



At the Mitre my room was ready by 12.30pm. I could have had one earlier upstairs at the front of the hotel but opted to wait for a ‘quieter’ room. It’s on the inner courtyard, which I like, but on the further side than I have stayed before- a bit of a trek around corridors and up a few steps. Nice when you get there.


The window provides good light so I move a chair there.  


I go next door to visit Gardenarium, where I have twice found clothes I like in my size. No luck this time! The conversations, however, were interesting. Both shop attendant and customers agreed there is no chance their aunties/mothers will stay inside for 4 months. It seems that while Stay Calm and Wash your Hands is persuasive, Keep Calm and Stay at Home for 4 Months is not. It looks as if WWII propaganda film units might need to be re-established.


Back in my room I sat in my window and worked on a leaf of the Muncaster Orange. I resisted the urge to sleep - I was awake early this morning- and read for a bit.  

I was hoping to finish the leaf before posting this - but didn't quite make it.

The hotel was busy for lunch but quiet by the evening. Still the same lights and the same calming view.






My Duck Salad was excellent. 















I'm writing this while watching Timothy West and Prunella Scales travelling Swedish canals and meeting Viveca Sten. Skol
I have two days to prepare for my journey home - and self-isolation! Might as well make the most of having meals cooked for me!

(apologies for the font change - don't seem able to fix it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment