Search This Blog

Thursday 23 April 2020

Post 57: Hopeful news

The last couple of days I have finished writing my blog well after midnight. Last night it was about 12.50am when I pressed the button to post. I have the email notification to followers set to be sent out between 11pm and 1.00am and went to bed punting I had posted in time to catch the automated mail-out. I didn't think to check in the morning, until, in the middle of a call from my brother I had three missed calls from my Guild friend Margaret. She was trying to check that I was OK because my email blog post had not arrived.

I am so grateful to Margaret, both for checking up on me, and for alerting me to the email failure. I adjusted the mail-out time immediately so the post went soon after. I apologise to email recipients for the late post.  Best of all, however, was the knowledge that Margaret had my back. Thank you. 

It was a wet, grey day in Adelaide. My brother said it was perfect, sunny, Autumn weather in Sydney. Sunny certainly feels better, but in Adelaide you can't complain about rain.

I finally got around to replacing a button on my purple tights. Barbara Mullan taught me the trick of making a phone pouch with two loops, and adding two buttons to each of my leggings. This way I always have my phone on me, even when I don't have a pocket.  These tights have been waiting for weeks for a button replacement. Done.


The next mending job is darning these knitted slippers that a friend brought back from Uzbekistan. They are great for wearing around the apartment - so great that I wear them out. I have already mended them once (the red circles), but they have worn out in several other places.   I got as far as photographing them, but the Mellerstain screen called too loudly.













I finished simmering the soup, while working on more leaves on the Mellerstain screen with artificial light in the early afternoon because it was so gloomy.
Then I had a phone call that I had not dared to expect.  Susan called me from her isolation hotel in Perth. Doctors today reduced Jennifer's oxygen dependency from 65% to 30%. 30% is, apparently, close to what is normally in the air we breath.  If this goes well for the next 24 hours, tomorrow they will bring Jennifer out of her coma and off the ventilator. Susan talked to me for 50 minutes. She was clear headed and rational. She now has a reason for hope, and that makes all the difference.  It made a difference to me as well. Nothing else seemed of great importance today.


Tonight's sunset seemed to sum it up - light shining through dark clouds. I especially like the photo at the bottom of the composite - the new Calvary Hospital against the sky. While it blocks some of my view to the North, it stands for healing and recovery.












I made good progress on the screen today. Lots of leaves and berries completed beneath the squirrel. It's looking good.


I have made an effort to finish this post by 11.30pm and have returned the mail-out time to the 11pm-1.00am slot.

Should be posted in the next 90 minutes.











No comments:

Post a Comment