Search This Blog

Monday 20 April 2020

Post 54: Bookended by Squirrels

I was delighted to wake this morning to an email from my retreat friend Genevieve in Brussels. An advantage of a 9 1/2 hour time difference from GMT are the morning bulletins, collecting up news from the other side of the world.

Genevieve sent me some photos of her deck, complete with snaps of her visiting squirrel. I may never have a squirrel on my balcony, but, courtesy of Genevieve, I have a virtual one! Thank you so much, Genevieve!

It is especially welcome, as I unintentionally frightened my dove away this morning. I have a Vergola over my balcony - a louvred cover that I can close or open. Last night I had closed it in anticipation of rain overnight. This morning I put out some seed and opened the louvres thinking the openness would be less threatening to the dove. Unfortunately, the dove was perched on the wall above the louvres, and flew away in fright. I could hear the cooing for some time, but no appearance. At the end of the day about half the seed was gone, so I'm assuming she ventured back when I wasn't watching.


I spent quite a bit of the morning finishing Threads around the world.  Its 25 chapters tell of specific textile techniques unique to a particular region, or group of people.  There is a lot to like. The writing is accessible and each chapter tells a story in an engaging, clear way, paying tribute to the skill of the artists and providing details that those interested in textiles would want to know, 

I was particularly interested in the Zari brocade of India, the Miao shiny cloth of China and the Shona cloth of Zimbabwe. Each of these provide specifics on the lengthy, meticulous, traditional processes undertaken to achieve the remarkable outcomes. For many years I had a sari that I now think was Zari brocade. I wish I'd known how it was made.

The chapter on the Molas of the Cuna Indians of Panama is excellent, with a good outline of conflicting accounts of its history as well as clear details of techniques.

Some sections, however, are more sketchy. The Scotland chapter needed, a the very least, illustrations of the woven hose under discussion. The chapter entitled "Thailand: Hmong Pas Ntaub (Story Cloth)" is only marginally about Thailand, and focuses on the story cloths of a very specific group of refugees. It would have been preferable, and easy, to title it more accurately. The chapter on Kantha fails to reference the rich source of Niaz Zaman’s The Art of Kantha Embroidery, with its depth of understanding and detail. Indeed, the references in all chapters tend to be published in the USA or sometimes, the UK. I am uncomfortable with the lack of resources originating in the cultures under discussion.

The other disappointment lies in what is not here. Indonesia, Malaysia and Vietnam  have rich textile traditions, as do the First Nations people of  Australia, New Zealand and North America. There is no obligation to be comprehensive, but there is surely a need to explain the scope and limitations. 

I got useful and interesting information from this volume and will continue to use it as I continue my interest in world embroidery and textiles. It serves, however, to push me to look for knowledge and understanding that is closer to that of the local practitioners and less that of a first world outsider looking in.

My main goal today was to get from Genevieve's squirrel to my crewel squirrel. I am now working on the lower half of the Mellerstain firescreen.

I finished the acorns and leaves to the right of the squirrel











and then,  on the left.













After dinner I worked on the squirrel.


I have had no information from my friends in Perth today, although I tried. From the daily WA News Conference I know there have been no deaths today, and there are 27 in hospitals in Perth, 6 of whom are in ICU. So it appears there is likely to be no change in Jennifer's condition.












I'm pleased with my day's work - bookended by squirrels!










No comments:

Post a Comment