Search This Blog

Tuesday 21 April 2020

Post 55: The Squirrel gets a Tail





There has not been a great deal of the rain forecast for this week, so today I refilled the bowl from which the dove has been drinking.

As soon as she appeared it was to the bowl she went before the grain.











The pink in this zygote bloom and the perfection of the stamens sent me for my SLR and macro lens, but alas, the battery was flat. A more accurate photo will need to wait.


I was about to have breakfast when a message from my daughter told me she had returned the Easter nests container to my door. The container proved to be filled with a recipe and ingredients for a batch of ANZAC biscuits.

For those who are not Australian, ANZAC biscuits are made from mainly oats, coconut, butter, Golden Syrup and bicarbonate of soda, that were sent by Australian and New Zealand families to men at the Front in WWI. The ingredients meant the biscuits kept for months without becoming too hard and dry. They have become a popular staple, especially, but not only at ANZAC Day.We celebrate ANZAC Day on 25 April - the anniversary of the landing of Australian and New Zealand Army Corps at Gallipoli in 1915. It is an important day of commemoration in Australia.

My mother always made the biscuits, not only on ANZAC Day. I made them every year until I lived on my own. I always have the ingredients in my cupboard.
last year's ANZAC  biscuits.

Last year I made a batch at the last minute. They were a dismal failure. When I checked, the bicarbonate of soda had a use-by date in 2014!  My family, therefore, are making sure I don't repeat the failure! I thank them. I will make the biscuits later in the week.



I do most of my reading on a Kindle or a Kobo, but have a pile of hard-copy books that I am trying to reduce. This week I am trying to read and review, on Goodreads, one book a day. Today it was Marcia Langton's . I haven't written my review yet, but I have it in my head. This is a reference book designed for children. It has a good range of information in clear language. I'm not sure about the way it is organised, but it has an excellent index, so finding what you want is easy.

In between reading and making or taking phone calls and emails, I worked hard on the Mellerstain screen. The squirrel now has a tail! And a branch to rest on. He does not yet have an eye.


I managed to get a bit of information today about Jennifer - from a network involving a friend, Jennifer's brother and Susan's nephew. Jennifer is still in ICU, on a ventilator, stable, and slightly improved, but not out of danger.





I thank all of you who have asked after her and are supporting her with thoughts and prayers.






Here's the lower section of the screen at the end of the day. Lots of leaves and branches tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment