Search This Blog

Wednesday 22 July 2020

Post 147: First batch of Masks


Most of the day was taken up with mask making. I got into a rhythm, took breaks between every four and stitched a dozen.












I then cut and threaded the elastics

and finished by stitching the elastics into loops.

I notice there are now suggestions for using a cord (a shoelace is suggested) threaded through both loops and tied at the back.


There is also provision in the pattern for a nose wire. I think the only course now is to try them out and work out what the wearers prefer. I can add nose wires to this model in a couple of ways and it would be easy to adapt the ear loops to either a tie or an elastic around the head.

Tomorrow I shall send nine of these to be tested by my Cnnberra family. The remaining three need adjustment, including one that I had to unpick as I'd stitched the lining inside out.  These can be tested here in Adelaide and feed into the making of the remaining 10 - and more if needed.


It wasn't such a good idea to wear black today - both trousers and top. This process produces lots of threads and trimmed fabric. Good job I found my lint roller!


I managed to weave in all the loose threads on the shawl. The instructions  say to 'block aggressively' by pinning the cast off row firmly, then stretch until the lace rows align. I wasn't sure what this meant, so tried it out by pinning to the curtain. I figure it means that the stripes need to end up parallel.

I will block it on the floor sometime tomorrow.

I'm in two minds now as to whether to start another knitting project or return to embroidery.

In between mask-making.



No comments:

Post a Comment