Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 July 2020

Post 154


I finished reading this yesterday. Hamilton Crane is the pseudonym of Sarah J Mason who wrote a series of Miss Seeton books in the 1980s, continuing a series of original books by the British actor and writer Heron Carvic (Geoffrey Rupert William Harris 1913-80) in the 50s and 60s. This one, written as a prequel, is set in England in WWII. While it is nothing special as crime fiction, what I found interesting was the context of government directed morale building to focus the population on the war effort. While I was aware of much of this, I was not aware of the effort put into stopping negative talk that might undermine morale, or 'loose talk' that might aid the enemy should there be fifth columnists about. Workplaces, landladies, shop keepers, everyday citizens - all promoting 'the right thing' in word and deed.

It was interesting reading this in the midst of a Covid pandemic. While I wouldn't suggest a war time propaganda campaign, there might be lessons in how to engage a society in behaviours that get the whole community through a crisis.


There was a lot of building activity today, deliveries of steel struts on huge trucks and strange sounds. I haven't been out to inspect the progress, but the pile-driver is once again parked next to my balcony.













I was keen to continue my Breton stitch, so finished my diagonals and got on with it. The line at the bottom is, in fact, straight. I have manipulated the photo which wasn't straight and in the process distorted the bottom line.
I then switched to mask-making, stitching down the side hems on yesterday's batch, cutting and inserting the elastics before stitching them by hand into loops.








The gigantic pincushion that Niamh made me for my birthday last year was invaluable in this exercise, which is very pin-hungry.

I used the thinner, softer elastic on the fine fabric masks. This elastic can be tied rather than stitched, as it is therefore more easily adjusted.

This is the set for my Adelaide family finished. I now need to make some for my brother.


Speaking of my brother, I received a parcel from him today














- a photo album that belonged to our mother, for storage with my family history records, and a couple of her small framed paintings - both of red honey eaters. She took up painting in the last 5 or so years of her life, after she retired. She'd be very pleased - and surprised - to know I was embroidering birds! I'm not sure what I'll do with these.

I had a long phone call with my friend Robin in the Blue Mountains. I'm not sure that we solved the world's problems - but we did define a few of them!

I stuck with the counted thread box side. Still a way to go to finish this side - then I have to repeat it for the other three sides. I'm pleased with the progress - if not with the wonky photo!




Finally, I have just finished the heart at the top of the owl, using some synthetic gold thread.

I now have to work out how to colour the owl on the other side of the bag without letting the colour run!

A job for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment