Search This Blog

Tuesday 17 November 2020

Post 263 Chores and, as we now say, an abundance of caution..

 

It's been a bit of a trying day. I had several things to do, and several to sort out. Our Covid resurgence has been so sudden that many people appear to be in shock. There is clear information about places visited by the 20 who have tested positive or by their contacts. 8000 are in isolation. Nevertheless a pall of uncertainty hangs about. It was probably a good thing I had a substantial list of things to do. None of them were photo opportunities. Since this blog is a journal of this Covid year, I feel it important to record some of today's tedious detail. The photos are today's. They don't necessarily illustrate the text.

I am trying the seed for the doves in a little dish near the water and sunflower, just to see if it works. As you can see, the doves do not keep food on the plate.

It does, however, make photography a bit easier. 

I had an audiology appointment in the morning and an appointment with my tax accountant in the afternoon. I also had a parcel to pick up from the post office. I could have walked to the audiologist but decided to drive via the post office to secure the parcel. 

Consequently I was a bit early to the audiologist and sat in the car a few minutes. It’s mostly a residential street, with numerous Adelaide stone bungalows and pleasant gardens, although many, including this one, now back on to apartment blocks. It’s very soothing to watch, from a distance, someone pottering gently in her garden.

Inside the audiology practice, COVID restrictions were back to prime position. I had to sanitise my hands, fill out a form about symptoms and wear a mask. I’m not complaining. We are all adjusting to going from no community transmission since April, to a cluster of. 20 cases and 14 more suspected. 

Audiology tests while wearing a mask proved possible but challenging. The earpieces and headphones transmitting the sounds I needed to identify crackled against the mask unless I was perfectly still and the cords of the mask around my ears competed with the hearing aid tubes, occasionally pushing them out. Nevertheless we completed the tests and adjusted the hearing aids. My hearing has barely changed and my aids are still working effectively. I caught up with technology developments but don’t need to change.
From there I went home and made a couple of phone calls. My payment for the Aesop Frame has not gone through and I tried calling the bank. I got a recorded message to say many staff were working from home because of the COVID changes and delays are being experienced. Gave up on that. I also rang our Strata management company because I couldn’t find an account. It took several tries before I got to someone. When I got to someone who could help me, there was a knock on his door and he had to go, saying he’d get back to me. He didn't. Much later this afternoon, fortunately, I found the missing account in my email bin. The company is usually efficient. I think, like many, they are struggling to adjust overnight to imposed limits and staff working from home.

Other places have got used to quick transitions. We will too.

My tax accountant phoned to check I was ok to come in the changed Covid conditions. He was free so I went early. He is so relaxed and efficient. There was a time when I was proficient at doing my own tax, but not any more. I know what information is needed and for the most part am fine to gather it. I have, however, long lost the nuanced understanding now required. I knew I would have significant tax to pay this year. It is slightly less than I had set aside. Within 45 minutes my tax return was done, printed, signed, lodged and I had two Australian Tax Office accounts in my hand. 

I then went on to the Unley shopping centre, deposited my soft plastic recycling, posted a parcel and visited the bank to try to sort out why the Aesop transfer hasn’t gone through. This refers back to the TransferWise notification I attempted last Friday night when the bank froze the payment, suspecting fraud. Even though I spoke to the Fraud Branch on the phone and they removed the block on my cards, they are still blocking the transfer. 

They have now unblocked it but I need to start over again. There is, they say, an increase in fraudulent transactions at the moment.   

This evening I have paid using a debit card. It costs me more but reduces my stress. 

I went to the supermarket before coming home, to get a bit of fruit and replenish the supply of my favourite ice creams. All was calm and well distance, but I noticed the toilet paper and wipes shelves were depleted. 
Insane.

The much delayed hard copy Piecework magazine arrived today. I have had the electronic version for a while and shared the Inuit string figures with the WES Group. The article on boiled wool caps from North Africa looks tempting. I'll give the crocheted gloves a miss. 
Nicola’s pattern book also arrived.  Very, very beautiful and inspiring.

I’m now, after eating and stitching on one more hexie, contented that I’ve got so much  stuff sorted today. I can cope with the cancellation of  Pilates on Thursday and Sit’n Stitch on Friday this week, and with the temperature rising again to 34C tomorrow and 36C on Thursday. 

I’ve paid two of the four accounts generated today. I'll feel even better when I’ve paid the other two and have an embroidery needle in my hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment