Search This Blog

Wednesday 18 November 2020

Post 264 Lockdown

Before the bombshell of a 6 day lock-down  within 12 hours hit around lunchtime, I was relaxed and thinking about desk covers, the first thing those of us who were in primary school in NSW in the 1950s made in our sewing classes. They were rectangles of headcloth, with embroidered hems and embroidered motifs. No one I know of ever covered a desk with one. 

Recently I have thought about those desk-covers each time I've been at the Guild in a class or session that includes lunch. With the kitchen closed under our Covid Safe Plan, we eat at our work stations, moving our embroidery away. Each time I wish I had that desk cover to spread out before opening my lunch box.

Today I dug out a pair of Japanese Sashiko napkins I embroidered a couple of years ago when friends bought them back from Japan for me.  I reckon they fit the bill, so I'll be making them part of my Guild kit.
I was watching a crane loading timber beams from a crane on the building site next door, when I decided I'd better check in on the midday news bulletin. I tuned in just as Professor Nicola Spurrier, our Chief Health Officer, was explaining the 6 day lockdown announced by the SA Government from midnight tonight. All schools,  universities, eateries (including take-away), hotels, gyms, pools closed. One person from each household can leave once a day for essential food  or pharmacy shopping. No exercise outside the home. Masks to be warn outside the home. 

My first thought was that I did not have enough tomatoes for my lunches for six days. I had made a shopping list this morning, which included ingredients for next Monday's family dinner. I figured I should go to my favourite tomato shop straight away, before the rush started, and then call at the butcher. 

It appears everyone in Adelaide had a similar thought.


On the way to the car I realised there would be no Monday family dinner!

At the North Adelaide Village, a shopping complex where I have never seen more than 50 people, the queue to get into the supermarket snaked around the atrium. I estimated about 40 people in the queue, waiting for others to come out of the supermarket so they could get in. 
 Around the corner, in the greengrocer, there were two queues, one to get into the shop and one to pay. The line around the back wall is the paying queue. It went around two walls and out into the atrium - again, up to 40 people while I was in it. The shop has 4 checkouts, each with a packer as well as a cashier. The wait wasn't too bad. It was, however, astounding to see. Adelaide doesn't have queues. Four shop assistants were working constantly to replenish the stock.                                                  People were focused, but cheerful. There was a lot of smiling and sympathy for the young woman who started work there today in her first job. A day she won't forget.

I had thought I might buy a couple of crumbed French cutlets from the butcher but although, when I had paid at the greengrocer,  the queue did not extend outside the butcher's shop door, the meat display was severely depleted and I didn't bother. These food shops are essential services under the lockdown and will be open throughout the six days. I can, if necessary, exercise my once a day food excursion option if desperate. 

By contrast to the shopping centre, the streets were relatively deserted on the way home.  The photo on the left is Frome Rd near Brougham Place and Lefevre Terrace at North Adelaide on the right, both usually much busier.

Since arriving home I've had a few calls and messages checking I'm OK, which I certainly am. These are the toughest restrictions so far in the country. It seems contact tracing data indicates this particular strain of the virus is replicating itself every 3 days. Those contracting it are infectious within 24 hours. Contact tracers are now tracing the 5th generation from the initial infection (which arrived in Adelaide from the UK). The speed of transmission without symptoms is what has epidemiologists worried.  As Nicola Spurrier has said, this is our one chance of a relatively normal Christmas. So hard and early it is.

I posted another Baby Boomer Teacher Conversation today. I  also ordered two more printed linens from The Crewel Work Company after measuring the space left on my chair and calculating what I will need after I add the Aesop Frame.  I've also set up the small stag in a hoop to give me a break from hexies. This one is for the skirt at the front of the chair.


Jennifer has sent a photo of her finished Mr Twizzle, which is another part of a community fundraiser. She is so good at creating at these fabulous figures.







By 11pm I had found the wools I need for the stag and made a start. Plenty of time tomorrow - and more interesting than attaching the hexies to my quilt!







From Adelaide: Stay Safe!

No comments:

Post a Comment