Search This Blog

Tuesday 24 November 2020

Post 270 Growth and renewal


I went back, this afternoon, and looked at some of the elements of the front balcony garden that I had photographed and talked about back in the early days of the pandemic.

The spider - or one of her descendants - is still at work, weaving ever more complex webs. 

Spiders don't have that on their own.

There's also the pruning from the begonia Jennifer had suggested I cut back. The photo on the right was taken on 11 April, four new leaves on a small cutting. The photo on the left was taken this afternoon. It's only about 20 cm high, but has several branches and shoots. 

I haven't photographed my Yukka before. It's not so easy to photograph well. I'm better with close and small than with large things that need to be photographed from a distance. I brought this Yukka with me from my old house. It was always in a large pot, but outside in a garden. I've cut it back a couple of time to stop it overbalancing. The whole view is on the left, with a pot of poinsettia hanging from it. The base of the Yukka in its pot is well below that. On the right is a closer view of the top leaves. I'm waiting for some of the lower shoots to grow a bit more before cutting the height back again.
This row of about 5 yukkas are all children of the original plant. They really like life on the balcony, and I like their fecundity and green. I don't think it has ever bloomed.

I spent a couple of hours with Jennifer this morning. She is working her way through all the necessary processes and planning and looking pretty good. 

I checked the Guild website today, and we are back to regular meetings after the lockdown, so I plan to go to the Crewel Group on Thursday and Certificate Course workshop on Saturday. I'm so pleased that the Guild has stayed with the 1 person per 4 square metres requirement. The State did go to 1 per 2 metres for a while, but reverted after the recent hotspot outbreak. The Guild's Gallery space works really well at 1 per 4 metres, and it does make me feel really comfortable to be there. I don't think I'd go if we were working at 1 per 2 metres. I feel much the same about cafes and restaurants. As we are getting very used to hearing,  out of an abundance of caution. 
I also checked out the lemon rose pelargonium that I transplanted about a week ago. It's looking robust and healthy. Whew!

I had  good catch up phone calls from my friend Robin in the Blue Mountains. Her infected leg is slowly healing, and she was able to open her pottery studio for the Open Studio Program last weekend. Great that that program could go ahead  in NSW last weekend. 

Also caught up with my brother who is pretty busy promoting his latest book and working on the next one. We covered quite a bit of ground.

Alison and Karl got a very, very cute kitten today - serendipitously on her birthday.

Finally I had a request for any excess elastic I have from a Guild friend who has been asked to make 10 tutus! I think I can oblige.  

These conversations and connections are what keep me sane and operational. They are renewing and nurturing, recharging my batteries when required. 

Deo Gratias.




No comments:

Post a Comment