Search This Blog

Sunday 29 March 2020

Self-isolation Day 10: Gifts and Good news of friends

The best news of my day, was a message from my friend Jennifer on the Costa Victoria, now in the port of Civitavecchio, west of Rome to say these buses are to take Australians to the airport for a flight to Perth, where they will be quarantined for 14 days. I expect they will be quarantined again in Adelaide when and if they manage to get an onward flight. But they are on their way!

I was very interested to notice Jennifer's hoop in the lower left corner of the photo she sent. It tells me she has been working, as planned. on the Jenny McWinney panel I had picked up for her to take. It's the one below.






I so look forward to the day I can see the finished piece. It's also great to know she's been stitching.


Other friends of friends who were stranded in Rio, one with a broken leg, are apparently now in quarantine in Melbourne.  The efforts of many people went into getting these Aussies home.


As well as good news of absent friends, I had another mercy delivery today from another friend - she of the pasties - who left osso bucco, a slab of orange cake and savoury biscuits with blue cheese and fig paste outside my door.

I had a slice of the cake almost immediately with a coffee and the osso bucco for dinner (see below).  It is fabulous, moist cake.

In between these excitements, I managed a few housekeeping tasks - changing sheets, watering plants and tidying the remains of finished stitching projects. I have not put them away yet, but they are sorted and ready to put away.

I also realised today I had made a mistake last week in not ordered milk last week with my grocery order.  I had plenty, and had registered the use-by date, which in my head was further away than it in fact is! (In other words, I had completely lost track of the date). I explored another home delivery service from North Adelaide Foodland, but I need to phone them on Monday to see if I qualify. So I put together another Woolworths order and chose Wednesday afternoon for delivery. I can add to it up to midnight Tuesday.   Feels so good to be able to do this.

I worked out a solution to my garbage recycling storage. I resurrected one of the bench compost bins I had been using before Adelaide Council set up a collection scheme. I even have spare carbon filters to control the smell!

I've used double compostable bags and will be able to dispose of it on Friday when I can get to the bins!


As I was settling to progress my scarf the Prime Minister held a press conference with the latest Covid19 announcements. As well as now limiting groups in public to 2 persons, our Govt is asking those who are 70+ to self isolate as much as possible.  I was very pleased that today I put in another Woolworths order! The only difference Friday is likely to bring for me is access to to my letterbox,  rubbish bins and perhaps a daily walk. That is absolutely fine by me, now that I know I can get supplies.  There is also now a government Coronavirus App, which I have downloaded and used to register myself as a person on self-isolation. Very sensible tool to provide.

I don't spend a lot of time looking over the Square but when I do I usually see people using it well. As the sun set, these two sat well apart, not facing as they talked. Reassuring.










Inside, I heated the osso bucco and added some oven-baked chips. It was truly delicious, and I have enough left for another meal. Many, many thanks to Susan.












We have colonies of bats in Adelaide and some of them roost each night in a couple of trees in the Square. They fly in as it is getting dark, so are quite difficult to photograph. To all intents and purpose I failed yet again tonight. They are the dots or smudges in the sky in these photos!



My knitting progress has been slow today. The Fair Isle takes concentration, and I was distracted several times today, so had a row to undo.
Tomorrow is another day!


No comments:

Post a Comment