Search This Blog

Monday 6 April 2020

Post 40: Deliveries

The photo of the day is this one sent to me this evening by my friend Jennifer in isolation in a Perth hotel. I really love it. Jennifer is waiting on the results of a second test for Covid19. She's managing to keep calm and keep embroidering.


My outing today was triggered by the need to get the battery in my car key replaced. Although I have the spare key that usually stays with my daughter and son-in-law, I wanted to restore my key as soon as possible. I rang my Toyota servicer. They could do it, so I drove there as soon as my deliveries had arrived. It was strange to see no customers waiting for their cars to be cleaned or serviced.

The spare parts counter was carefully marked out. The replacement only took a few minutes and cost $12.

On my way home I stopped off at the Veale Gardens in the South Terrace parklands. I haven't  been here for many, many years.








The roses are looking really good at the moment.

I liked this very dark pink the best.














The roses, however, are not, in my view, the best part of the parkland's gardens. There are well laid out walking paths, with water features and landscaped groves of trees















There are ducks and a few ibis.



We are fortunate to have these parklands surrounding the CBD. The sun was out, and there were three or four families playing games with children, a couple of cyclists and three walkers other than myself. Plenty of space to keeping our distance.

I often wake quite early. I check emails and news and sometimes read a book or do a daily sudoko puzzle online before I get up. I preference text-based over video-based material. However, Phillipa Turnbull has been making a daily Crewel Work video, each one demonstrating a very specific skill. Phillipa is really good at this. Her demonstrations and explanations are exceptionally clear and helpful. I watched her first two videos as they were posted. This morning I caught up on most of the remainder.  I'm convinced these have had an impact on the leaves I've been embroidering on the Mellerstain Firescreen. I really recommend them if you are a surface embroiderer. The first video can be found here or you can Google 'Phillipa's Crewel Corner'.

After breakfast I got stuck into sending out an email to the World Embroidery Study Group, attaching Lori's pdf version of the PowerPoint she made of what would have been her talk to the Group this coming Wednesday. It's really good.  I tried to upload it to my website, so I could put a link here for others to view, but there was a problem. I've asked my web developer to fix it when he gets time. These days he makes videos for companies, and is probably rushed off his feet at the moment. I didn't ask for priority treatment, so it might be a while before I can share it this way.

My Marino's Meat delivery came around 11.30, and the Post Office delivered the Can Do Books order less than 10 minutes later. The meat was vacuum packed. The book is the one about embroidery on knitting. I think it's really good - more about it tomorrow.










I am  comfortable, well-serviced and connected. Today I had a charming eCard from friends in Nowra and a long, relaxed phone call from a neighbour, as well as messages from a range of friends and family.  These are what sustain me.









Along, of course, with the embroidery. I managed three more rows on the Fair Isle scarf on the sunny Western balcony this afternoon. The Mellerstain parrots progress - or at least the leaves and berries progress. I'm debating whether to do the remainder of the leaves and berries or launch into the parrots themselves.


Sleep on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment