Search This Blog

Friday 10 April 2020

Post 44: If you have no daughters, give them to your sons

A very quiet and relaxed day today. The temperature reached about 20C.  Although the sun broke through for a while, it was predominantly overcast.  I had a few phone calls and messages,  and a friend who is beginning a knitting project called in to collect a pair of knitting needles from outside my apartment door.


My daughters and I shared hot cross bun rituals around 11 am. My Canberra daughter was lucky enough to have hers delivered fresh this morning.

My daughter in Adelaide made hers





and mine were courtesy of my Coles deliver last Tuesday. I'm not rigid about it, but fundamentally I try to restrict hot cross bun eating to Good Friday. I will certainly, however, be eating the two saved for me from the batch above and to be delivered to my door tomorrow!








It is interesting to watch the way the Square is being used for exercise. There are not many people about, and those that are seem to be keeping their distance quite well.


It's a good time of the year for my balcony plants. This photo is for Jennifer, in isolation in Perth. It is a begonia she gave me and advised me to cut back the last time she was here. I did as she suggested and it has put out new leaves as she predicted it would.



This is the new plant emerging from one of the pieces I cut off.





The geranium cutting I bought from Peter Sanderson at the Guild's Christmas sale is doing brilliantly in the casserole dish I ruined by burning the bottom.











I worked steadily on the Mellerstain firescreen today. I have realised that I should not have been working the vine and oak leaves with double thread on the edges. I'm going to continue doing so, however, because I really like the plumpness.


I am surprised how much I am enjoying working this limited palette of colours. It is hugely varied.









A bit like tonight's sky.

Fionn, my grandson, phoned tonight for a chat. He had run 18km today and is planning to extend that to a half-marathon.









On the Crewel work front, I  finished the vine leaves between the parrots, having decided to work horizontally across the linen. 








I'm hoping to work the leaves on the right hand side tomorrow.


Easter Sunday seems like a good time to treat myself to starting the parrots.

Tomorrow, with a bit of luck, I will have a couple of hot cross buns and another Woolworths delivery to look forward to.


No comments:

Post a Comment