Search This Blog

Monday 13 April 2020

Post 47 Pigeon and parrot

A leisurely beginning to the day. It was a sunny morning So I took my breakfast out on the balcony. I moved inside when I’d had enough sun and in time to take a call from my brother that moved from phone to FaceTime so I could see the apple crumble he was about to take out of the oven. It did look good! 
I must have left crumbs from my breakfast on the balcony because I had a visitor. She was very persistent, coming back twice to check for more. In the four years I've lived here I've had birds sit on the balcony rail, but haven’t seen a bird walk around the balcony like this. Odd that it should come now - an anti-isolation bird!


I observed the pigeon from a chair just inside the balcony door. It’s a favourite of mine. From here I can see the balcony and sky, but also some favourite art works. I love the play of light on them






The two paintings at the top are of the Fauldings factory behind the West End Brewery in Adelaide. They were painted by Holly McNamee, an artist and art teacher in Adelaide in the 1980s and 90s. She has now moved back to the Maitland area of NSW where she grew up.  I bought the one on the right at the opening  night of her exhibition at the Greenhill Gallery in North Adelaide in 1987. I was principal at Gepps Cross Girls 'High School at the time, and a few days before the exhibition,  a fire in the early hours of the morning had caused over $1 million damaged to the school. I had been called in at 4am and was taken into the burning building.

These paintings of Holly’s seemed to be a symbol of all that had happened that week. We couldn’t afford both of them, but I bought the one on the right, and years later was able to buy the other one.





I bought this Wangina by Waigan Djanghara at an Elders auction in 2018.. Wangina are cloud and rain spirits in the Kimberley region of WA. I love the simplicity and solidity of this one.





This Sepik River story board Jim and I bought in 2011 or 2012 at the StrathalbynAntiques Fair. Tim Wannacott opened the Fair and as fans of Bargain Hunt we went to catch a glimpse.


In the afternoon I followed the sun to the Western balcony. I don't like moving my Lowery frame with the Crewel work parrots out on to the balcony, and I wasn't in the mood for the concentration of  Fair Isle, so I picked up a project I've been working at the Guild's Basics to Beyond Group. I can't see that group meeting for months, so I progressed the counted work I'm doing there.

I'll explain more about it one if and when I take it further.



My brother and sister-in-law had been asking me about how people were exercising in Adelaide.  I get a bit of an idea from my balcony.  One woman walked her dog around the Square, then sat on a bench and let the dog walk in circles around the bench on its long lead.











This young woman did resistance training in a harness against the pull of her partner. There was much mirth.













It was hard to photograph this group of five who formed a very wide circle, 2-3 metres between each participant, and did exercises with ribbons. Unfortunately, there was a tree in my way but if you look carefully you can see three of the five participants.

From time to time a parent would cycle or walk around the Square with children on scooters or bicycles.

It was certainly not crowded and everyone appeared to be practising distancing.



Margaret sent me the photos of her lectern fall in place in the Glenelg Catholic Church on Saturday night's video vigil. It looks even better in situ.

Earlier in the day Andie, a member of the World Embroidery Study Group, had sent me the PowerPoint she has prepared on Embroidery for book binding.  I'll send it to members in a few day's time.





It was a bit of a Disney sunset tonight, whether viewed from outside










or in.


I've been working on the left Parrot and nearly finished it tonight. There are a few bits to finish which I think will be better done in the morning.










I wonder if the pigeon will be back then too.



No comments:

Post a Comment