Search This Blog

Friday 17 April 2020

Post 51: Still on dove and parrots

Well, it looks as if the seeds are the secret to the dove's return. I sprinkled a few seeds on the balcony floor this morning and very soon the dove turned up. She pecked around, eating maybe a third of the seat, then took off again from the  rail.

She came back twice during the day. to finish off the seeds and drink some water.


In my first online grocery order there was no pasta. I bought this package of 'Fettuccine' without knowing what it was.  Last night I used its contents with a Bolognaise sauce I had made. It turns out they are Konjac noodles - made from the root of the Japanese Konjac root. They are translucent and are said to have no taste. There are warnings that they can cause stomach pain, bloating and diarrhoea. The active ingredient in pure form is banned in Australia.




Covered in Bolognaise sauce they were pleasant to eat, and I suffered no ill effects. It won't however, become one of my staples. The current crisis leads us to try and learn about new things. In future, it might be better to investigate before I buy but I was in a hurry and in self-isolation when I ordered.  Je ne regrette rien.

Today I placed another grocery order for delivery next Wednesday. I went with Romeos' again, partly because of the way the manager handled my bungled delivery last Wednesday and partly because they have a good selection of both fresh fruit and vegetable and meat - including ham hocks. A big pot of soup coming up.

I have also managed to get an appointment for a flu vaccination . I had a booster in February before I went to England and my doctor recommends I wait until May to have the new one. I now have an appointment for 1 May.
It was overcast and cooler today - 21C -. There was enough sun for me to spend a couple of hours embroidering on my Western balcony this afternoon.

Once again, the Square is being used by a personal trainer and his student.  They use a range of equipment - as well as the tree and bench.   It's a good use of open space now that gyms are closed.

The spotty fabric in the top right hand corner of the composite photo is part of the bunting I bought before Christmas from The Fabric of Life.




I hung it from my balcony rail and have not yet taken it down. I find it cheerful and a reminder of more stable times.

I have no further news today from my friends in Perth. I figure no news is good news. I will try calling Susan tomorrow.






I made reasonable progress on the parrots before moving inside. I'm really enjoying this stitching.


I had a long conversation with my brother and sister-in-law. Robyn spent the day making more little videos for her young PE class. It's an effort, and I'm sure it will pay off. My brother is still working out the consequences of cancelling his gigs, including the Stone the Crows event that would have just concluded in Wagga Wagga this week.


I've worked steadily on the parrots this evening while watching Gardening Australia and several episodes of Great British Railway Journeys - including the one that visits Dunrobin Castle - evoking memories of the visit we made on the first Crewel Work Scottish Highlands Tour in 2015.

I'm too tired to do more. I'm pretty sure tomorrow will finish what's in my frame and I will be able to roll it on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment