Search This Blog

Sunday 12 April 2020

Post 46 Easter Sunday

 Χριστός Ανέστη  - Christos anesti , as my Greek friends will be saying next Sunday.

My day was full of friendship, greetings and entirely appropriate hope.

When I was a child my mother always made chocolate crackle nests for Easter. Hers had Arctic Mints as eggs. I have continued the tradition, but for many years have not been able to find Arctic Mints. I’ve found a few substitutes. This year, ordering remotely, jelly beans were the best I could do. I left these outside my door as exchange yesterday morning when Anthony dropped off my hot cross buns,



And I kept a few back for myself, as my Easter Sunday treat, while talking and emailing friends. Unexpectedly I received three Jacquie Lawson electronic Easter cards. Two, from Peter Watson in England, and from Alan in Canada ,were celebrations of Spring, renewal, growth and joy. Because they are multimedia, with music as well as animation, they have an immediate impact. The third card was from Peter Furze, my second cousin once removed, Peter lives in Hounslow and we met through family history researches some 15 or so years ago. Peter will be 90 next year, but remembers every Easter, that I have an attachment to Jesus Joy of Man’s Desiring, and sends me an Easter card set to that music. I find the music - and the fact that Peter remembers, moving. Thanks guys.

Yesterday my Adelaide family dyed eggs for Easter . There is some debate about how these will be consumed. I suspect they will end up curried.

Late this afternoon Veronica, with a few reminders from her mother,  organised a Zoom connection for their mob, Alison & Karl in Canberra and myself. We had 80 minutes of catching up - a great success. It’s my first experience of Zoom. Maybe now I’ll register for a Zoom Pilates class.

I also had a message from Judith, a friend in Melbourne who has been filling her isolation watching Unorthodox and Shtisel on Netflix. I’ve begun watching Unorthodox, but I can’t manage the subtitles and stitching - nor blogging! Back to Great British Railway Journeys and Would I Lie to You!

My friend Jennifer,  in isolation in a Perth hotel, has now tested positive to Covid19 and is not feeling at her best. She was well enough, however to make a nest from a towel and apples to leave in her room to assist the Easter Bunny. This morning she was not disappointed. Given where she is, she is wrong about the Easter Bunny. It was clearly the Easter Bilby.


Back in Adelaide, Barbara, who picked up the knitting needles on Friday, is winding her wool skein into a ball in readiness for knitting her scarf and Margaret, one of my Guild friends, finished her lectern fall just in time for the Easter vigil streaming. We were hoping to share a photo in situ, but here is the finished item. I really like it. 
I saved for my Easter dinner the lamb frenched cutlets that Marinos delivered to me earlier this week . They were vacuum sealed, so kept well. I don’t cook meals like this for myself very often, so it was an Easter treat. I made potato cakes and added tomato and asparagus. Delicious.

Thanks to everyone who asked about my knee. There is a spectacular bruise, which is sore to touch, but otherwise my knee is fully functional and doesn’t hurt or limit my walking. I did take a photo, but I think I’ll spare you.

All in all, I didn't spend as many hours on the parrots as I had expected, but I have made progress. There is now a touch of colour.



I think we’ve done ourselves proud this Easter.



As my Greek friends would respond, Ἀληθῶς ἀνέστη  Alithos anesti!

No comments:

Post a Comment