Search This Blog

Tuesday 13 October 2020

Post 230 It's all about the preparation

I bought these yesterday at Frewville. They are quite small but such a lovely colour, and very frilly. They are opening slowly in this warm weather and I'm hoping to enjoy them for several days.


My major task today is to prepare for the World Embroidery Study Group tomorrow. We are looking at Inuit embroidery. Margaret has prepared a PowerPoint and Junette is bringing felt and templates for us to try out some appliqued shapes.  


Unfortunately, Margaret has broken her arm and has a hospital appointment tomorrow morning, so has emailed me her presentation. I now have that on a memory stick for tomorrow, along with a short presentation I put together on terminology. I've also gathered some threads, scissors and bits and pieces I've promised individuals. 

Serendipitously, this morning I received a digital copy of the latest Piecework Magazine, with an article on Inuit string games traditionally played on cord made from animal sinew. It's a form of what some know as Cat's Cradle. Not, of course, embroidery, but an interesting study. The figures traditionally made by Inuit families are canoes, ice floes and other local elements, but not dissimilar to figures we made in Australia 60 years ago. The author's research suggests that the hand actions associated with these figures become imprinted and come back almost automatically after decades of disuse. Perhaps we should try it out.

I went to Unley shopping centre this morning to pick up a top that I'd ordered online but saved postage by picking up in shop. I dropped off my soft plastic recycling, collected the parcel and popped into Coles to see if my favourite ice creams were on special. They weren't. Raspberries and strawberries were cheap, however so I got some for my breakfasts. 

It's a small, very pleasant shopping centre, with plenty of space and people being careful.


The building work has continued all day with a concrete pour happening. Anthony was right when he suggested the wooden struts were to support concrete walls.  I did have an hour away but the noise did not disturb me. Steady motor noise blends into the background, especially when I am concentrating on something.


After getting ready for tomorrow's meeting, I moved my attention to feathers.


Today's effort was a Galah feather. I feel much happier working a feather to a particular bird.



This morning my friend Vivienne suggested woking an Adelaide rosella. I think I might try that next.
I'm planning to stick to three colours. It needs to be simple and impressionistic rather than representational. Now that the Galah has worked to my satisfaction I will try this one.





After that I might just have a go at the lorikeet. And there's always a dove.






























No comments:

Post a Comment