Search This Blog

Sunday 20 December 2020

Post 296


My first visitor this morning was Black Tips who did an entertaining dance along the Vergola blades before coming down to clean up every last piece of seed left on the balcony.  After breakfast I went out and watered the plants, filled the water bowl and replenished the seed dish. The plants and water dish had dried out to a surprising extent yesterday, which wasn't that hot.
To my surprise, an hour or so later Myrtle and Turtle arrived together and took advantage of the seed and water. I haven't seen these two together for some months. Perhaps they have raised a family over Spring. After sampling the offerings, Turtle took up his sentinel stance, first on the rail and then on the corner of the roof while Myrtle got stuck into the seed, spilling it everywhere, then got right into the water (literally!).                                                         


I spent quite a bit of time following today's Press Conferences by the State Premiers, and then on the phone. The NSW Northern Beaches Covid hotspot has expanded and restrictions are flowing. My sister-in-law cancelled her early morning flight to Queensland where she was going to spend Christmas with her mother who is in an aged care facility. She would have had to quarantine on arrival - so couldn't visit her mother or other family anyway. Disappointing, but understandable. My friends in Lismore were packed ready to leave today to visit their daughter and her new baby at Avalon - on Sydney's Northern Beaches for Christmas. It won't happen.

Containment is everything, and no one wants this to spread. All States now have restrictions on travel to and from NSW, with outright bans on travel to and from Sydney's Northern Beaches. I admire the clarity of all the Premiers and the Chief Health Officers. They were very explicit and up front about the rules and the reasons. 

The closure of the Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race for the first time in 76 years is a bit of a shock  - and an indicator.

Things sound much worse for friends in the UK, especially those living on their own.

I managed two more crocheted squares while listening to the Press Conferences. and eating some  brie and Turkish pide left over from last night. 

From there I moved on to my crewel work and Lady Anne's Flowers. I did a check on my red threads to make sure I have enough to get me through this large flower. I don't want to run out over Christmas. Create in Stitch is open tomorrow but then closed until the New Year. I think, however, that I've got enough.


This is where I am at the end of the night. The outer layer of petals isn't finished but I've come a fair way - enough to know my thread will be enough!
Today is also the anniversary of the start of both the Cudlee Creek and Kangaroo Island bushfires which last year spread a pall of smoke over Adelaide for about 10 days. Around 190 homes lost in those two fires alone, I million animals killed on Kangaroo Island.  A lot of steps have been taken to reduce future risk and to improve fire-fighting capacity - but it takes time, and many people are still in the process of rebuilding or relocating. 

It's a much clearer day in Adelaide today, cloud, but no smoke. It did get to 30C but down to 23C tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment