Search This Blog

Friday 25 December 2020

Post 301 Christmas Day


My friend Christine in Watford was inspired by my Wise Men to get out her Christmas decorations. I woke to find photos of her hearth and this fabulous Lorna Bateman ornament Christine made a while ago. I really like it. 

Blush joined me for breakfast then spent a long time sitting on the lower rail. 










  
We gathered at Katherine and Anthony's place around 12.30 - Anthony's mum Carol and I, plus the six of their family. We had some catching up to do, and then presents. I didn't take many photos. Everyone was pretty happy. The girls all got queen sized beds and all the linen to go with them for Christmas - hence the secrecy on Wednesday while these were delivered and stashed in the shed.  Moving the old ones out and new ones in will take, I think, a few days. Fionn got an addition to his gym equipment. Part of Anthony's bee suit can be seen in the left corner in front of Niamh and next to the box of cherries. The bee suit goes with the hive Anthony needs to construct from the contents of the box under the suit.



Veronica spent quite a bit of time working out a Japanese puzzle box I had been unable to do. She persisted until she got it out. After lunch both Fionn and Niamh did the same.
These are the presents I received. I need to pot the philodendron into it's pot tomorrow. The bag at the bottom was made for me by Carol. She comes up with great designs. This has a terrific shape - like a bishop's mitre, a lot of room inside but folding absolutely flat. I can see myself taking a pattern from it.








Katherine took this photo of us all at lunch. 
                 
We had an entree of ham, eggplant parmigiana and salads, followed by roast pork and potatoes. This was topped off by the two desserts on the right, the pavlova made by Katherine and the chocolate yule log made by Carol. The photos are not very good but do show the sun protection cream that is an inevitable accompaniment to Australian outdoor meals! 

Back at home I had a lovely long conversation with Alison during which the two young doves visited. While writing this blog and wresting photos from one device to another I've watched the Queen's message and the part of the Royal Variety Performance -  very spirit raising. 

I'm now on to Midsomer Murders: The Christmas Murders, of course. 

I've never been fond of 'Merry' in association with Christmas because I associate it with excess alcohol and triviality rather than peace and goodwill.  

I notice, however, that the Oxford dictionary gives "happy and cheerful" as the definition, in which case, I can say I have had a very Merry Christmas - something to be cherished in these times. 

I wish the same from Hurtle Square to all family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment