Search This Blog

Monday 1 February 2021

Post 340

As I anticipated, the package awaiting me at the post office was the three genealogy charts I had ordered. I had a message from the PO to say they were ready to pick up around 10am this morning - so no need to decipher the postman's handwriting.

It is on a heavy linen-like fabric. The book on the left edge is A4, to give some sense of the size. My idea is to fill one out with myself as the starting point, then one beginning with my daughters and one with my grandchildren.  I will then develop books of stories that incorporate the many photos on my Ancestry tree. An online tree has many advantages, but stories and a holistic view are not among them. 

Now I need to try out a couple of archival pens. I've decided against embroidering the names!

And in case you look closely, 'paternal' is mispelled.
From the PO I went to Frewville to buy my muesli and some bakery items for this afternoon's visitors. I then went to the Guild to see what I could find in the library on Bulgarian embroidery.
This is the standard DMC account, mostly a collection of motifs and colour instructions.











This one, interestingly is the catalogue of an exhibition held in Adelaide at the Migration Museum in 1986
while this one has useful information about some embroidery and textile traditions.  There is also some information in Mary Gostelow's Embroidery: Traditional Designs, Techniques, and Patterns from All over the World.

It's enough to get me started. All I need to do now is read them, in between the other tasks I've set myself!


I had a reminder this morning that I have undertaken to give a Certificate Course Workshop on Icelandic Embroidery in May and need to have instructions in by April, so I borrowed the Icelandic books as well to update my PowerPoint and notes.


The building grew apace today. I think it is clear that the building does not go to the boundary of the block. The side wall went up this morning (left) and by the end of the day the corner had been turned and a return wall erected.  These, I'm assuming, will be the walls that continue for 9 storeys, leaving a lower courtyard at the back.

It will shave a little off my view, but nothing like I was fearing if the building went to the boundary.

I also heard from my periodontist today, offering me an appointment tomorrow morning at 9.00am, which I have accepted. The tooth is not aching today, but was over the weekend, so it's better to get it done - even if it means two lunches I have organised later in the week are less comfortable than they might have been.

It's a return to Monday night dinners tonight. Niamh and Veronica finish early on Mondays so were here about 2.40pm. It's been a very relaxed afternoon. Brigid is spending her gap year working at her old school as a PE assistant and appears to be much in demand as a swim instructor and supervisor and coach of several sports. Fionn is preparing to perform in front of SANFL selectors on the weekend. 

The pasta bake turned out very well and there wasn't a lot left.

I began work on the Western Spinebill this evening. There's a long way to go. I need to add more black to the head - I may even have to make it solid. I'll have a better idea once I put the eye in. I'm pleased with the bill.


Up early for the dentist tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment