Search This Blog

Wednesday 3 February 2021

Post 342Lunch with Lorraine in Stirling

 My apologies to those readers who receive my blog posts by email. I don't know why yesterday's email didn't go out at the time set (between 11pm and 1am Adelaide time). It was posted just after 11pm Adelaide time - about an hour earlier than most recent posts, so should have been easily picked up in the timeframe. Usually I check before I go to sleep but I was very tired last night after the dentist. My thanks to the friend who alerted me this morning, enabling me to reset it to go out - albeit 12 hours late. I'll monitor the email post tonight.

Obviously I slept well! I have got through the day today so far without taking any pain relief and I have kept up the salt water rinses as instructed. 

I had organised some weeks ago to have lunch today with my friend Lorraine, whose birthday is next weekend. As I was away on my birthday last month we arranged this to celebrate both our birthdays. Lorraine has not been well for a year (I wrote about her in Post 170 and 273) but is recovering slowly and steadily. 

When my dental appointment was brought forward I didn't want to cancel today's lunch unless I had to - even if I didn't eat much. As it happened it was fine so I picked Lorraine up from her home in a retirement village in leafy Myrtle Bank.


At her suggestion, we went to the Stirling Hotel in the Adelaide Hills - only about a 15 minute drive from Myrtle Bank.  

I hadn't been here before. It was very pleasant, - spacious  and airy with a lot of greenery inside and out. 


Neither of us chose the specials. I had salt and pepper squid, which was excellent, and quite easy on my mouth. Neither of us had alcohol - my mouth instructions say none for a week to facilitate healing.
We had a really good catch up, two and a half hours of relaxed discussion in a very pleasant space.

Once back at home I made a start on the family history chart. Yesterday I bought an archival pen. The linen proved quite difficult to write on.

It does, however give a useful view of family - one not easily obtained from an online tree. I completed the Maternal side of my own tree. There are 8 names in the ninth generation and 12 in the eighth. It readily shows where there are gaps. 

I'll have a go at the Paternal side another day before too long.
This evening I've made progress on the Western Spinebill. The tail and outlines to go.  It's nearly time for me to make the two bags on to which this and the Blue Wren are to be appliqued. I'm planning to put these into the Guild Exhibition next month. The theme is Nature by Needle, and these seem to fit.

Covid restrictions have just been reinstated in Victoria as the virus has apparently escaped from hotel quarantine. Western Australia has a similar situation.. 

In South Australia we have cases in hotel quarantine from returning Australians but so far no community transmission. Nothing, however, can be taken for granted. 

I'm sticking to my stitching - and exercising that much vaunted abundance of caution.

No comments:

Post a Comment