Search This Blog

Friday 5 February 2021

Post 344 Stitching wherever you look.

 

Before I went to bed last night I cut out the Western Spinebill and pinned it on the Kangaroo Paw fabric, ready for stitching this morning. I had hopes of stitching it on, embroidering the legs, cutting out the bag and stitching it before I left for Sit'nStitch just before 1pm.

It didn't work out like that.







I did a bit of housekeeping - washing up, cutting the stems and 
re-vasing the small white chrysanthemums I bought on Monday, watering plants and rotating my sheets.
I then got down to stitching on the bird. It was, predictably, tricky. The narrow parts of these birds is difficult to turn under and applique. I can't turn under a wide margin of fabric on the tail and beak, and a narrow margin frays as I stitch. I have to turn it under with the needle as I stitch. I could manage it on the tail, but the beak was a challenge. It is very long and very thin. In the end I did it by couching down across the threads and then embroidering it again in black.

In the end I took it with me to Sit'n Stitch and finished the legs and feet. This is the fabric that I plan to use both as lining to the bag and the sides. I think it will work well, even though it is mixing fabric origins. The colours as well as the flora and fauna are compatible. I now need to do more measuring and cutting out.
At Sit'n Stitch Jennifer worked her Sophie's Universe, which is really progressing. I know some of the readers of this blog have bought Sophie's Universe. Jennifer says to warn you that Round 20 is difficult!

Aren't the colours fabulous?

Susan is tracing one of Margaret Light's designs to Solvi to go in the centre of a very ambitious embroidered quilt. It's a huge, time consuming task - but will look brilliant when finished.
After the Western Spinebill legs, I worked on pink crochet circles. Last time I reported, I had, I think, completed six pink circles and the plan was to do ten, one for each of the colours I am using. Here are my beige circles, one with a pink border worked. I now have ten pink circles as well as a pink edge on one of the original beige circles. I have now added two blue borders and worked the first of the ten blue circles I am now starting on.

They are coming along.

It was overcast, very windy and rained for some of the day. It made for a gentle. glowing sunset.

I still have quite a lot to do to finish the Western Spinebill bag, the genealogy chart to finish and a lot of embroidery projects to finish. I have to be up early for the cleaner.

More importantly, tomorrow is the first JEMS session for the year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment