Search This Blog

Tuesday 17 March 2020

Day 21: Stitching, talking and packing



I decided this morning not to go walking along the river as I had intended. I guess I am getting my head into my self-isolation mode. It seems easier and safer to stay indoors and stitch. As far as I could see, there were two other guests in the hotel - a far cry from other years.

I set myself up in the front lounge in the light and stitched for three hours. Staff came past, carrying things and nodding, busy about their tasks.
 Outside, as far as I could see through the window, traffic and people were going about their business.

Occasionally there was sun, but for the most part it was overcast.


Around 1.30 pm I repaired to my room, made a cup of Nespresso, ate an apple and 2 biscuits, dealt with a few emails and pressed on with the Muncaster Orange.

In the last 24 hours more restrictions have been announced at home as well as everywhere else. One of my daughters whose immune system is weakened has been ordered to work from home for 6-8 weeks, the other has been obliged to tell staff to work from home, but required herself to work from the office. My brother, who runs a 7 day Easter event for around 500 caravans of Grey Nomads (for non-Australians, these are retired people who travel around the country in caravans, often on a weather-dictated program) in Wagga Wagga in NSW, has just had to cancel the event because of a government ban on events or gatherings of more than 500 people. The world is awry.

I just want to be home. Qantas has announced a 90% cut to international flights from the end of the month.

I have checked in online for my flight tomorrow. The company providing my airport transfer has been in touch and confirmed my pickup. Fingers crossed.

This afternoon I rang my cousin Susan again and caught up on more family and personal news. Later I rang my friend Christine Thatcher in Watford. She gave me permission to mention she had spent the afternoon in her bedroom with a man with a pole - and a crochet hook - trying to fix her large curtain that has come adrift from its cord and moorings. When we spoke it appeared to be working - at least for the moment. Christine and I met on a Crewel Work Company Scottish Highlands tour in 2015 - and have stayed in touch. Embroidery is a great connector. We both value and nurture the connection and friendship.

By 5.30 pm I had come close to finishing the five main leaves of the Muncaster Orange, and the stems. I have a bit of tweeking to do, but I was happy with this progress. Somewhat reluctantly I took it out of the hoop so I could pack it. I'd like to keep working on it on the plane, but that's unwise. I shall revert to my bag travel project. There will, after all, be time to finish it in self-isolation.

For Christine I include a photo of the kit I bought at the retreat Market session. Another project for the next couple of weeks!

Once I dismantled my hoop, I repacked my bag. I'm hoping I can manage without using the expander on my bag. I won't know until I've finished this and recharged my computer.

Feeling satisfied with myself I set off to dinner only to discover the dining room was closed. Apparently, the decision was taken this morning in the light of few bookings and many cancellations, but no-one had thought to tell the remaining guests. The duty manager was unaware guests hadn't been told. He suggested I go next door to the Mute Swan, which I did. I was annoyed. 



I had often thought of visiting the Mute Swan. It was snug and friendly, with quite a few clients, but plenty of room for social distancing.




The ever-present man-and-his-dog was discrete and devoted.








When I returned to the Mitre, the Duty Manager was contrite and apologetic. They are struggling to cope with cancellations and work out what to do. He was keen to compensate, so I finally accepted a glass of wine on the house, brought to my room.

So here I am, writing my final blog in England, in my Qantas pyjamas (which will stay here in the morning; everything else except my clothes for tomorrow and recharging equipment is in my suitcase), while drinking my large glass of white wine while The Art Mysteries of Waldemar plays on the television.

It has been an extraordinary trip. Some really great experiences and connections - but I will be pleased to be home.

At the moment I intend to keep this blog going during my self-isolation. Anyone getting the email version who does not want to continue receiving the posts, drop me a line by email and I will remove you from the distribution list. I do not assume everyone is interested.

I will post again to round off the trip once I am on Australian soil - from Perth if I have time.

Thanks for following along.
Stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment