Search This Blog

Friday 20 March 2020

Self-Isolation Day 1: Not so isolated

It’s so great to be home. I’ve had a slow, steady day without pressure, catching up and doing a bit of planning.

I slept pretty well. Went to bed around 11.30pm, awake for 30-40 minutes around 4am, back to sleep until my phone buzzed at 8.30am. It was my granddaughter telling me her mum had dropped my food parcel outside my door! Delicious breakfasts of muesli with watermelon, grapes, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, nectarines and strawberries. And the surprise in the parcel - the first Bravo apples of the season - Yay!  Now hoarding those I'd understand.



The emails about services cancelled, adapted, redesigned, or on hold kept coming. As did messages from friends offering assistance. I had lengthy phone calls with my brother and couple of friends and chats with daughters. If I missed your call I will get back to you soon. And thank you retreaters and blog-followers for messages - I'll answer soon.

I read as much news as I could bear, did the washing (it always feels good to wash the things I’ve been washing at night for weeks  in hotel wash-basins), hung it out, looked at my mail and watered my plants. I also had appointments to postpone because of my self-isolation.

My back balcony wall garden is thriving. It looks to the East and gets morning sun.


My washing line is on this balcony. Everything dried in the afternoon.











My front balcony looks West and was likewise healthy. Clearly we didn’t get too many days over 30C while I was away. One frangipani is in bloom. Thanks to family for watering while I was away.








This balcony looks over the Square and the street, so I can wave to people without breaking  isolation rules!












I had hoped to spend much of today constructing projects from Stratford. That was a bit hopeful. There was too much news to catch up on. 

I did, however, make a few decisions.


From the fabric I bought from the Royal Shakespeare Theatre I chose two pieces to use with Nicola’s Midsommer Pillowe. I hope to use the shiny black as the pouch back and the blue as lining.

All opinions are welcome!

The black serge and beige flannel are, I think, too heavy. 

I then searched my stash of beads and embellishments to find replacements for the beads and sequins I mislaid (=lost). I found some I think will work. Might get those on tonight. Then I can construct tomorrow.



right hand placement
Then  I had a go at deciding where on my crewelwork chair I might put the Muncaster Orange when it’s finished. I think it might work on the left hand placement - but I’m not sure. I need to decide before I tackle the bow.



Left hand placement






I’m afraid this self-isolation blog extension may not be very exciting - but there should be more doing activity in future.

There is a lot to process in terms of the changes we are all experiencing. I have many offers of help and enough supplies to get me through 14 days ( fruit will run out before then but I could manage without if I had to, and family and friends will come to my aid). What of those without support? Those without income? Without money? 

I am worried about two friends on the Costa Victoria -currently in the Suez Canal headed to Venice, apparently being told the best plan is to discharge them in Venice on 27 March. No intermediate ports accepting them. Neither are in great health. I haven't been able to contact them.

In the meantime, I am focusing on what I CAN do. I have some episodes of Agatha Raisin to catch up on, family and friends to stay in touch with, blogs to write,  lots of enticing projects to finish (and start!) - oh, and sunsets to watch.


How privileged!

No comments:

Post a Comment