Search This Blog

Saturday 21 March 2020

Self-isolation Day2: Quilts & Midsummer Pouch


After posting my blog last night I progressed the Muncaster Orange a little. It is so relaxing. Thought I'd leave the Midsummer's Pillowe additions until the morning.

I got to bed  and sleep around midnight, waking, inevitably, around 4am.  I read a little, and realised I was just a little cold, so put my dressing gown over the quilt, thinking it might be time to move from the summer to the winter quilt.  One of the articles I read in this waking interlude was a doctor's advice on staying healthy in face of the virus threat. Her first advice was that those getting 8 hours sleep are more likely to resist infections than those getting 4 hours sleep.  I put away my iPad.

Next thing I knew it was 10.30am!



Clearly my first job was to change over to my winter quilt.  I washed the summer one and, eventually hung it out to dry.

My Winter quilt is in the process of being repaired. The wadding began to work its way through the rows of quilting on the black overhang, so during Summer I have been covering the overhang with more hexies. I have finished two of the four sides and begun the third.

So the Winter quilt is now on my bed partially renovated.


This is another possible occupation for the next 12 days' isolation!



I had a lovely long conversation with one of my daughters and spent some time trying to register for an online grocery delivery. I seem to be registered and have compiled an order, but need to wait until the company confirms I am a priority customer by virtue of my isolation. It wasn't an easy process, with long delays as the site was evidently under pressure. There is nothing urgent about this, but I thought it wise to see if I can organise a grocery delivery service - in case the Australian government extends home isolation to all over 70s for a longer period, as in UK and NZ.

A neighbour, via email, has been helping me work out how to deal with my rubbish disposal as well as advice on alternate home grocery deliveries. Again, it's great to know help is at hand.

I am also glad that I spent the last 15 years of my working life doing most of my work and interactions online. I am very comfortable with online connection and community. I don't feel isolated when I have constant online interaction.

By mid-afternoon I has added the last embellishments to Nicola's Midsummer's Pillowe and was able to begin the construction of my pouch.

I added the zip first, then stitched the sides to create the bag.








Then the lining.







I'm pleased with the result.

I think both the backing and lining fabrics work well.





For the moment I have stored my filament silks in the pouch.  It keeps them together and means they are more accessible to me than in the Yazzii bag with other silks and metallics.




I heated duck breasts for dinner - one hot tonight with salad and another to have cold tomorrow.

Sunset tonight began with little promise but then turned quite spectacular.


















Sometimes that's how it goes.
Now for more Muncaster Orange!

No comments:

Post a Comment