Search This Blog

Friday 5 June 2020

Post 100: Quo vadis?

This is my 100th post in this blog, which was set up to cover my travels in England for 26 days from 24 February. I kept it going to cover my 14 days self-isolation on return to Adelaide, and then to tell the stories of my days following. When will I stop the blog? I don't know the answer. I'm expecting one of two things to tell me it's time to stop. Either (1) the feedback telling me at least some people like reading it each day will stop and followers will unsubscribe or (2) I will find my life has returned to pre-February routines and conditions. It has become a kind of diary of the plague year, not discussing the plague itself, but the daily life of one person through an extraordinary time. I think (and hope) I will know when to stop. Please do not hesitate to unsubscribe if it is no longer relevant.


Although I now have a battery for my SLR, it is so long since I have used it that I'm finding I need to teach myself to use it all over again. I'm not too bad on the regular zoom lens. I quite like this photo of the tree opposite my balcony, taken with that lens,  and could easily use the image  for embroidery,





but I am struggling a bit with the macro lens, which is mostly what I have, in the past, used the camera for. I need to read the manual again. I may also need to start using my tripod - something I didn't do in the past, but the movement in my hands at the moment is impeding me.







I did take this very decent photo of Turtle waiting for his seed - using the macro lens - but not at a macro distance.








The worst photo of the day was taken with my phone - through the fly screen - when the Noisy Miner flew in to sample the lemon rose geranium on the balcony. The Miner is just below the light fitting and flew away as I tried to quietly open the door.




This all occurred before I went to lunch at my friend Margaret's - a bold move for both of us and for her husband.. I swapped a glass paperweight Margaret needs to house a roundel she has finished embroidering, for a jar of her marmalade, and ended up with two jars. Margaret is Marmalade  Queen. I don't eat much jam. These two jars will last me all year - and marmalade is my very favourite.

We had a delicious lunch of Margaret's home made bread, smoked salmon, cheeses, ham, quince paste and salad and caught up on months of stitching projects, news and opinion. Margaret has finished and framed quite a few projects. All lovely and meticulously stitched. It was such a treat to spend time in their company.

Back at home I have been working on my Silver Eye version of Nicola Jarvis's bird. I have a bit of outline and some seed stitch fill to go. I should be able to cut it out and applique it this weekend. I'm going to work the legs directly on to the background fabric this time.

My shipment from the Crewel Work Company is on its way, with more pieces for my Crewel chair. That will keep me busy for a while, so I'd better get back to my Fair Isle knitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment