Search This Blog

Sunday 31 May 2020

Post 95 Stitching progress

Showers this morning were light and sparse, but by this evening rain has set in and is, for Adelaide, heavy. There was another little dove drama this morning when the adolescent arrived at the same time as the pair and was fiercely driven off and pursued. It was more than an hour before the pair were back. They ate and hastened away.

I proof-read a story for my brother and went to Katherine and Anthony's place for afternoon tea. Brigid and Niamh made excellent scones which I helped to eat with Katherine's fresh lemon curd and cream. Yum. 


While at afternoon tea I managed to finish five of the last six hexies. The last one I finished at home. I now have 75 hexies to add to my quilt. I need to set aside a day or two to do it. I think the best plan is to replace the quilt with a doona for a while so I can keep the quilt and extra hexies in a bag from which I can do the work as a break from other projects.


I changed the hoop with my bird over from the upright stick seated stand to the jointed Nurge one.
I don't like the clamp on this Nurge stand, but it works OK with a hoop. It annoys me that it doesn't clamp a slate or roller frame, but it wasn't an issue here. It means I can sit further back in a chair, which is much more comfortable for hours of work.

I used a dark grey metallic thread for legs and feet and worked them in tightly packed French knots.






















I somewhat hesitantly filled the backgrounds in with seed stitch in metallics of a variety of colours.



I wasn't sure it would give the effect I wanted. The fine metallics have a way of disappearing into the linen. In the end I liked the effect.

I still have the beak to go, and a little work on the eye.


The overall effect, though, is very much what I wanted.


Tomorrow I have a podiatrist appointment and the kids are coming after school, but I should, I think, manage the finishing touches.



No comments:

Post a Comment