Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 June 2020

Post 112: Hayborough

I had hoped to get away this morning by 10.00am. Inevitably, I was more than an hour later than that. There was the rubbish to put out, my packing (which included printing a couple of patterns, which involved changing the ink in the printer....), my weekly WES email to send out, the doves to feed....







I put out extra seed to cover tomorrow morning. I will be home by the evening. I think they can manage till then.

I wanted to call at Create in Stitch for some thread for my back-up project (in case I finish the Fair Isle in the next 24 hours and need another one). That didn't take long. Samela found them for me in no time and I was off to the Southern Expressway and Hayborough. Or so I thought.  My intention was to get to Mt Compass, stop for coffee and lunch and buy some buns for my friends. I didn't, I thought, need navigation help until I got to Mt. Compass.

First setback was the mess of roadwork getting on to the Expressway. The signage is not predictive and unclear for those who don't drive it regularly. I managed it without having to reroute, but it was difficult and required complete concentration. Once on it, the expressway is a dream.

My second setback was failing to take the MacLaren Vale turnoff and heading down the Fleurieu Peninsula instead of the Victor Harbor Road. I have made this mistake before, which makes it worse. I have lost the voice on the satnav in my car . I need to get it fixed next time I am at CMI Toyota. My phone satnav works well but it was a while before I could stop to consult it or switch the voice on.

I found the road through the Hindmarsh Valley back to Victor Harbor. It is a pleasant road with little traffic. There's a bit of cattle and sheep and lots of bush.

I can't drive and take photos, so I eventually stopped to take a couple.











Even out here there are stobie poles - the South Australian invention to carry electricity wires in a State with little tall timber for poles.

I eventually arrived at my friends' place about 1.30 - a very roundabout route.








As I arrived they were putting the finishing touches on their holiday jigsaw. Pretty impressive. There is, you may see, one piece missing. No amount of searching has yet found it.








There is a view back to Victor Harbor from their balcony. It wasn't a clear day, but Granite Island is visible in this photo and the causeway was clear to the naked eye.













The beach stretches in the other direction and the sound of the surf carries to the balcony.

There were about 20 surfers out late this afternoon.  From the balcony they look like sharks.

It's been lovely to get here and simply sit and relax all afternoon.









I am on the last band of the scarf - the Quince one I am adding on to the end. 14 rows to go!












No comments:

Post a Comment