Search This Blog

Sunday 14 June 2020

Post 109: Colour, words, image,story - and food..

A web designer has put together a series of thread palettes to help stitchers create harmonious designs. I'm not especially good at colour, and it occurred to me this morning that plants, especially those with a colour variation, like this Tradescantia zebrina, would also offer a palette.

I'm not sure what, if anything, I will do with this, but I might keep my eye out for palette's in nature and see if it leads anywhere.






It was once again a miserable day in Adelaide- grey sky and intermittent rain. The doves turned up in between showers to polish off what was left of yesterday's seed.
They were quick about it, pecking urgently. bobbing up and down in a comfortable rhythm.

I did make a short video, but couldn't figure out how to insert it in the blog,without posting to YouTube. It also seems a bit obsessive.




This morning I finished the book I'm reading to review for NetGalley. I pulled out this hardcover I bought some time ago but haven't read. I found the introduction thought-provoking. Pamuk talks of the photographs of his childhood as representing an ideal (my term) - a way of presenting an individual, or group, not just (or even primarily) to others, but to themselves, both present and future. They are not capturing daily life, but special occasion, times of putting our best foot forward.

He also searches old photos for detail captured unintentionally including the emotional content.  It is a most interesting consideration.



My consideration in taking or choosing photos is about story - the relationship between words and images. It was William Yang who first got me thinking about this relationship. I'm not sure how or where this fits with Pamuk's thinking, but I am looking forward to finding out.


I went to Katherine's for coffee again this afternoon. Lots of cooking happening - marmalade, lemon juice, chickens and a pie.
The girls have been able to go to netball training this week. Veronica and Niamh are excited about the announcement of school leadership recognition they have earned.




I kept knitting throughout the day.  I have finished the sixth pattern. The scarf now measures 31.5". One more pattern repeat might do it. We'll see.


There's some more rain forecast tomorrow. I do need to go shopping and will probably not get a great deal done.

The end, however, is well in sight.

No comments:

Post a Comment