Search This Blog

Sunday 28 June 2020

Post 123 Oysters and Eider ducks

I wanted to go to North Adelaide this morning to get the ingredients for tomorrow night's family dinner. I was about to leave when the doves arrived so I stopped to provide their seed.


At North Adelaide Village, Romeo's had some fresh oysters, so I treated myself to half a dozen. It's the height of the oyster season and Streaky Bay oyster farmers have lost a lot of their usual market because restaurants have been closed or restricted in numbers.








They were delicious.


In her email to me a couple of days ago, Sandra, my embroidery friend in Manchester, England, told me that her brother, who lives in Norway, had recently visited an eider collecting island off the coast of Norway. From her description I think it might be Lanan.  It's a fascinating story. Norwegian eiderdown, unlike Icelandic eiderdown, is still collected and processed by hand.  A couple of families build and maintain nesting boxes on Lanan. The eider ducks arrive in Spring and build their nests. The families protect the ducks and their nests from predators and collect the eider down shed by the ducks. It takes three weeks to collect 1kg of down - enough for a quilt - which is then cleaned by hand. Hand-made quilts sell for $15, 000. The 2-3 families who live on Lanan during the Spring and Summer allow visitors on a very limited basis.  Pretty amazing.

It had started out pretty cold but warmed up during the day. I managed to spend an hour or so on the Western balcony catching the afternoon sun and embroidering.

The frangipani are losing their leaves, but all other plants are looking lush.












The sunset was gentle, but too beautiful not to take photos as it changed.























I made progress on the owl, and also on the Muncaster Orange. Small steps.

No comments:

Post a Comment