Search This Blog

Friday 3 July 2020

Post 128: nature and nurture

Warrawong Sanctuary, at Mylor, in the Adelaide Hills, posted this photo to their Facebook page this morning. It is Jon Snow, their albino carpet python.

I really like the coiled shape and the markings. It seemed to me it would make an excellent embroidery pattern. Could it be turned into a hat? I'm going to have a play with it one day. The patterns would work well in counted thread - but it doesn't sit symmetrically on the fabric.

Jennifer called me this morning. She has seen a physician who has ordered numerous tests to check on all organs that are known to be possibly affected  by Covid - 11 tests in all. She is very pleased with this. Her well-being is going to affected by for quite a while and knowledge and expertise is going to be key to her long term recovery.
I had a message from another friend who is following Jessica Grimm's Imperial Goldwork course. She tells me that Jessica is about to publish an ebook and also that Natalie Dupuis is about to begin a course in goldwork couching.













Myrtle and Turtle paid me a visit this morning. The rain didn't deter them.

They drank and ate a bit, then took off.

I went to Pilates, which is not restored to it's old equipment configuration. There is still at least 1.5 metres space around each piece of equipment,  There were 9 of us there, including the instructors. We largely stay on the same piece of equipment.

Our sessions are ten minutes shorter, to allow the instructors to wipe down each piece of equipment.

I enjoyed the session.

After Pilates I went to a friend's place to stitch. I worked on my Muncaster Orange and she wound wool. She also provided a delicious lunch and coffee.

I had been notified of two parcels arriving today. One was my cloth face masks and books I had ordered.  It is a nuisance if they are delivered when I am out. If they don't fit in my letterbox they will be taken to the Post Office for me to pick up. I was watching my phone all afternoon for messages that they had been delivered. I was notified by email that one, the masks, had been left. Eventually I had a message that the Post Office had tried to deliver the books, but couldn't get access to leave them. Usually the message says where and when the package can be collected- usually the Halifax St PO after 4pm. This one had no such information.

I stopped at the PO on my way home. They did not have the parcel - told me to check for a card in my letterbox and try later. Sure enough there was a card in  my letterbox saying the parcel could be collected after 4pm from Halifax St PO. I went back to the PO with the card. Still no parcel. They think it is still in the van and will chase it up and ring me on Monday. Disappointing, but I imagine it will be sorted on Monday.

The masks look good. They are in case I need them in specific situations, so no plan to use them at the moment.






By the time I got home the sun was setting. I quite like these dour sunsets.






Garden of the Hōjō




I did more on the Muncaster Orange tonight while watching Monty Don's Japanese Gardens on TV.  There was much on the Japanese concept of Mu - nothing- and its manifestation as negative space. 

I also really  the Garden of the Hōjō, which is a Zen manifestation of  movement from ordered, predictable precision to space, growth, softening and nature. 

It might be a metaphor for our time.


This is where I am at the moment with the Oranges. 

Jennifer commented this morning on the lovely colours, especially the leaves. I agree. It is a most harmonious design. Somehow the colours are calming. It is lovely to work with, inducing relaxation and wholeness.


I should finish the second orange tomorrow. 



No comments:

Post a Comment