Search This Blog

Wednesday 15 July 2020

Post 140 Hospital visit

Jennifer called me this morning from her hospital bed in the Royal Adelaide Hospital, asking if I could bring a bag of supplies to her from her home.

The plan was for her to have a balloon inserted in her trachea tomorrow to assist her breathing. The operation was to take place at a private hospital in the city. It was uncertain whether she would travel to the private hospital today or tomorrow. 


By the time I had picked up and delivered the bag, there was a complication. The attendant RAH Physician had advised her that her heart was not up to an anaesthetic, that she should continue with the diuretics prescribed yesterday for several weeks, to allow her heart to recover before having the operation. There appeared to be disagreement between the surgeon and the physician. Jennifer was feeling much better and breathing more easily. When I left, her plan was to delay the operation, try to rebook it in six weeks time and follow instructions at home to allow her heart to recover.

This plan may have changed since I left her around 1pm but I suspect it is more or less what will happen.  Jennifer is good at managing, so hopefully her GP has been brought up to speed, the surgeon is willing to postpone and she will have every support to regain her strength. Here's hoping. 


One of the things Jennifer and I discussed this morning was the gap at the front of the seat cushion on my chair.  My idea, of which Jennifer approves, is to put Rabbits at Dawn underneath the tree. I tested it when I got home, and think it will work. Two sets of Rabbits at dawn will fit nicely.

They will also fit on the front edge of the cushion.

I think I need three more Rabbits at Dawn linens!!!

Ridiculous? Probably.

I'm going for it.




In my letterbox when I got back from the hospital was this copy of the previously unpublished book by Agatha Christie which I wrote about in Post 116. It's a slim volume and I'm looking forward to reading it.

I had a long conversation with my brother this afternoon, catching up on lots of bits and pieces. I also had two visits from Myrtle, who ate and drank but was alert and checking every few minutes for I-know-not-what.

I was invited to dinner at a friends' place tonight - part of my bubble. Again, it was renewing, catching up, processing our experiences and world, not to mention the delicious and warming osso bucco and baked apple.

I missed sending out my Wednesday email to the World Embroidery Group this morning, so I'd better do it now, before the day ends.

No comments:

Post a Comment