Search This Blog

Friday 28 August 2020

Post 184

I woke this morning to a lovely long email from my friend Christine in Watford, England. She is patiently waiting for a cataract operation - put off because it is elective surgery in a Covid world.  Over the weekend I will share a photo of one of her recent embroideries which I find most interesting.  She is also joining lots of queues. I had sent her some of my supply of elastic, which is still scarce in Watford. I had begun to think I was crazy to have sent it, but I'm glad I did.

She told me of a visit she made to Iceland years ago. She managed to buy a book on counted Icelandic embroidery while there but on reaching home discovered all the colours where in Icelandic. Her library  had no Icelandic dictionary, so she wrote to the Icelandic Embassy with a list of words, which they obligingly translated for her!
 When I put on my merino slacks this morning I noticed a ladder emanating from the leg seam. I got out my grandmother's box of darning wools but couldn't lay my hands on my darning mushroom. I figured a small ceramic dish would serve, but after outlining the hole and beginning to darn, I decided there was sufficient give and stretch in the fabric to simply stitch the two sides of the hole together. Much easier and worked a treat. Once I worked that out, the mushroom, of course, turned up!



On the bottom of the chocolate box was this elastic. It still stretches - but does not retract. My grandmother died in 1980, so hardly surprising!







I picked Jennifer up just after lunch to go to our friend Susan's place at Grange to stitch. There was a lot to catch up on.

Jennifer had found this fabulous fabric to go with her embroidery. Very Gaugin. My contribution is the linen stripe for the lining. It's going to look fantastic.


We covered lots of topics - and we all three have plans for more projects than we have hours in the day for a long time to come.

On the way home I once again found myself waiting for changing traffic lights at the turn from Anzac Highway to South Terrace looking at what I think is a young Boab tree. It has a lovely rounded shape - no doubt shaped by the Council workers.










I worked on the outside edge of the Icelandic Endless Knot, putting the last stitches in after dinner. I had to take it out of the hoop to put in the last two stitches.













I've been thinking a lot about how to use it. I had an idea it might work as a square bag/satchel but needed to play with it to see if it would work.




I think this shape works with the design.













I found a piece of Ink and Spindle linen which I think might work as lining.




s-l400.jpg (400×400)











I figured if I used this shape I could embroider the four quadrants of the Helm of Awe embroidery on the flaps. It is, I think, well worth a try.  I've marked the quadrants off in accordance with the pattern I bought yesterday. Watch this space.

The lining fabric is printed as cross-stitch, so I think it could work quite well.



Tomorrow is a Certificate Course workshop at the Guild. I'm going to try to go to this one, which is on Wessex embroidery. I've gathered most of the things I need for the workshop. 

I'd better go to bed, or I won't wake up on time to go!






No comments:

Post a Comment