Search This Blog

Tuesday 15 September 2020

Post 202

The young adolescent dove tried twice this morning to feed on the seed on my balcony. The first time he managed quite a few minutes, eating seed, drinking, all the time alert, finally taking a position on the rail and scanning the scene.  Soon Myrtle arrived and adopted the same chasing behaviour that Turtle exhibited the other day complete with the three note call. They young bird persevered for a bit but was herded off the balcony.




The same thing happened half an hour later but was much quicker.




Another half an hour or so later Myrtle returned, followed by Turtle and they shared the bounty.





My plan today was to take this lace bodice to the Guild, to see if the Museum would be interested in it. It was given to my late husband's mother by his Great Aunt Gladys Lilian Dellit - who was a Home Economics teacher in Melbourne from around 1902 to 1955,  I think Gladys made the bodice which is designed to attach to a dress by a press stud.

Museum volunteers were photographing items from the collection, so I filled out a form and left it for the acquisions group to look at and discuss.




From there I went to OfficeWorks to look at enquire about the photo scanner which Choice says is the best on the market. At $A648 it is also the most expensive by a mile. It scans batches of up to 35 photos at a time.

It took me a while to find it, even with the help of an assistant, who needed to look it up. Clearly not a popular item. It turns out to be the machine that OfficeWorks uses in their Printing department to scan and print photos. The assistant assured me I could return it, with the receipt, within 30 days after trying it. With that fall-back, I bought it.

Throughout the day I was receiving phone calls from Jennifer, who had read about this great but expensive photo scanner and was thinking of buying.......We swapped information and both decided to buy.


Back at home after dropping soft plastic recycling at Woolworths Unley, I set up the scanner. The connection was pretty easy. The instructions were sparse but adequate. It took me a while to work out where the files will be stored and backed up on my laptop.

I played with it for 3 hours in which time I set it up and scanned 235 photos. I thought I was scanning at 1200 dpi but realised later it had defaulted to 300.Clearly something I need to check. I did some rudimentary organising as I went along, setting up some shared folders.

It goes against the grain for me to buy an expensive scanner when I have an operating flatbed scanner. However, I have several thousand photos to scan and this is a very efficient machine with 12 years of improved technology. The flatbed is slow

Once I got going, this was pleasurable to work with. It's also compact. I finished scanning the second 1980s album. There must be more from the 1980s somewhere. I can think of some that are missing. I'm actually looking forward to scanning more now. A day ago I was dreading it!


I'm tired tonight, but relaxed with the Caterina project. I have finished the second round of the outer pattern.



Now for the first round of the inner pattern.As you can see, I have begun the first pass of the inner row

No comments:

Post a Comment