Search This Blog

Friday 18 September 2020

Post 205 Photo Extraction,Young Doves and Friends Stitching

The young dove with the dark breast was back around 7.30 this morning, on its own, alert and surveying the scene before dropping to the balcony floor to eat the seed I had already put out in anticipation.










Once again, it was a windy day. The dove's feathers were continuously ruffled by the gusts.He or she ate quickly, consuming 80-90% of the seed in a short space of time, before flying away.

I have a feeling I will be seeing more of this bird, so I have decided to call it Stormy - because of its storm-cloud coloured breast.


There were no other birds trying to muscle in, or monitor Stormy's behaviour. I replenished the seed because I thought others might want some

About an hour later, the other young bird, with the pink breast appeared and repeated the act, eating uickly and thoroughly before flying away.  I am going to dub this one Blush. Again, no other birds interfered.Perhaps the older birds were holding a meeting and the younger ones took advantage - qor perhaps they have been anointed by the elders to visit and forage. Are they sharing or has the baton passed to the younger generation? Watch this space.



I returned to the 1970s albums and set about removing photos from the large album. with the help of my butter knife. There are batches of high-quality black and white photos from 1972/3 that won't come off without damage. Most later photos will come off with care and time.

After removing about 60 photos with great care, I thought of looking for advice online as to the best way to remove them. An archivist has a video that gives two main methods. Her first choice is to use a very fine blade, such as a medical instrument to prise them up. The second is to work dental floss under them. I hunted down my dental floss and tried it. My butterknife is better.

The third method mentioned is to lift a corner and spray underneath with one of the those sticky label removers. I tried this on one stubborn photo and it worked a treat. We'll see how I go tomorrow. I scanned most of those still stuck on using the PhotoScan App.


This afternoon was Sit'nStitch with a couple of friends. Jennifer has finished her bag, which is truly splendid. I'm thinking of writing up the story of this Covid bag for the Guild Newsletter. It is a testimony to beauty perseverance and survival.
Back of bag














Susan has finished her most recent blanket, also splendid.















On the way home I noticed the Jacaranda street trees greening up.










It was a cloudy sunset.



I'm tired writing this. It has been quite a long, but enjoyable and productive day.








I did another ten rows of knitting at  this afternoon's Sit'nStitch and this evening I managed another quarter of first pass of the inner row of Caterina.


My cleaner has asked if we can swap tomorrow morning for Sunday morning. I agreed readily. I can now sleep in tomorrow morning before I begin scanning!




No comments:

Post a Comment