Search This Blog

Friday 2 October 2020

Post 219 Photo challenges all around.

The first thing I did when I got home around 5.20 pm from Sit’nStitch with two friends was to bring in my washing. Before I took anything off the line, the cacophony of squawking alerted me to four lorikeets having their evening meal on the trees behind my balcony. My SLR was handy, so the washing waited while I snapped away.

The trees are now bursting with bloom and young shoots. There is certainly something there of great succulence for birds of the parrot family. There were never more than two on any one tree, but they enjoyed feeding & squawking.

The earlier part of the day was not conducive to interesting photos. I spent a couple of hours this morning scanning a pile of photos that hadn't fitted neatly in scanning a pile of photos that hadn’t fitted neatly into any of the 1980s or 1970s folder I had set up.  I then selected another 1990s album to scan. I selected an album of around 200 photos taken in December 1995 when I went to the USA to look at IBM educational software as part of a preferred supplier contract the SA Government was considering for whole of government online services. It  was my first time in the US so I took lots of photos in New York, Atlanta, Florida, Ohio and Minnesota     
     
                                                                                                             
                                                                                                                             
 My trouble in scanning began with, again, getting the photos out of the album. This album is an advance on the sticky pages ones. It has strong pages separated by transparent paper that may be archive quality. The photos are attached to the pages at each corner by small tabs with double-sided adhesive. They stuck very well! I can lift them off using my handy bread-and-butter knife, but the tabs remain on the back. This will stop them passing smoothly through the scanner, so I fear I will need to use the  to wipe the back of each photo to remove the tabs and any adhesive.

It’s slow work! I removed 65 photos today, and reckon that's about a third of what is in the album.
We had another great afternoon talking and stitching. My two friends are contemplating crocheting a spectacular blanket in 8 ply cotton.  The Bendigo Woollen Mill brought out its 2021 cotton chart this week with fabulous colours.   I am committed to using up some of what I have before I even think of indulging. This is 4 ply cotton I have in my stash. Most was bought with the idea of making summer tops for my grandchildren when they were much smaller. I’m thinking I could make a rug in a chevron pattern to join in the Great Rug Adventure.



I worked on the Rabbits at Dawn while we discussed the rug options. I’m very pleased with progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment