Search This Blog

Saturday 3 October 2020

Post 220 : Rabbits and photos







I spent a few hours throughout the day working on the rabbits, finishing the components that were entirely within the hoop. I figured it would be better to move the hoop before beginning the section on the right, since the edge could not be finished without a move.

I had used an 8" hoop because the linen just fitted and I thought I might get away with carefully stitching to the very edge. It was a mistake. The linen is barely wide enough to fit in and is therefore difficult to tighten.

So when I moved it, I moved to a 6" hoop, which makes it easier to tighten the linen. It would have been better to begin in the 6" hoop and assume I would need to move it. I have three more of Rabbits at Dawn to do for my chair. 6" hoops all the way!

There is a lovely dimension to the piece - as there is to most crewel pieces. It's so relaxed and enjoyable to do.

I'm thinking about how to vary the other pieces while keeping the connection.

I somewhat reluctantly paused my stitching to continue removing photos from the album of my visit to the USA in December 1995. 

The photos came out relatively easily when I used my bread-and-butter knife. However the little adhesive tabs used to attach the photos remained on the back corners and retained much of their adhesive. I was pretty sure the photos would not go through the  scanner with the tabs on the back so I cleaned half a dozen using DissolveIt. It was going to take hours to clean them all, so I thought I might just try them in the scanner.  To my surprise they worked. I was able to scan 65 in a relatively short time. Praise be!

Katherine had invited me to join them for dinner at Grange Cafe this evening. It was a lovely evening and there were people at the beach but the cafe wasn't crowded. We were early snd it did fill up before we left, but it was not crowded. They have new tables, well spaced.

Really pleasant. We had coffee at Katherine's where I picked up another supply of chicken food for the doves.


I am still struggling with this layout. Another experiment tonight.




No comments:

Post a Comment