Search This Blog

Sunday 7 February 2021

Post 346 Getting organised and messing about.


I have spent most of today working on my Traditional Icelandic Embroidery workshop for the Certificate Course in May. I'm not complaining. It's been good to have the time to get it done. I made a presentation on this to the World Embroidery Study Group last year, but that did not require a workshop with a project. Although I provided a project, based on long-armed cross stitch, it was taken from Piecework Magazine and didn't involve me teaching anything. 
When I agreed to do the certificate course workshop, I was asked to focus on surface stitchery, so much of my work today has been finding suitable designs and setting tasks based on historical Icelandic embroidery.  The advertising for the workshop however, includes long-armed cross stitch, so I need to cover that as well.

I don't imagine many readers are interested in this - but these are the only photos I have to show for a long day's work.

I adjusted the Power Point, planned 3 projects and created a set of class notes, including instructions for projects. 
I now have three tasks and sets of instructions, one  for couched work ( a bishop), one for split stitch (flower) and one  long-armed cross stitch (a strange long creature). All I have to do now is work an example of each project!
During and after breakfast I managed to read some more chapters of Sujarta Massey's A Murder at Malabar Hill, which I'm going to recommend to my book club when I get to pick later this month. I then spent time sorting out my Netflix subscription which was set up 5 years ago through Apple. I recently had an odd email from Apple telling me they couldn't debit my payment because of a problem with the card. There is no problem with the card, the January payment was debited and the February one isn't yet due. It looked like a scam to me. Today Netflix suspended my account because payment hadn't been made. It turns out Apple (iTunes) didn't pay Netflix in January. I've now requested a refund and explanation from Apple and re-subscribed directly to Netflix. I've wondered for a while if I should discontinue my Netflix subscription because I hardly use it. However the kids, especially Veronica, use it on Mondays so I'll keep going for a bit.

In the middle of the morning I put on some washing. It finished around midday but by then I was working on the Icelandic workshop. I didn't move from the table where I was working until 5.15pm. Guess I'll hang the washing out tomorrow.

Recovering from my Icelandic marathon, I  managed another lucky bird-returning-at-sunset shot, although I missed the flock that preceded it by a few minutes.



I won't be able to enjoy for long this view of the twin tree from the point at which I took the photo. The wall of the building next door will block it from this angle. Fortunately I will still be able to see it from the other end of the balcony. 

I've grown fond of the strange split tree. I will continue to have an unobstructed view of the two below.

To counterbalance the Netflix trouble this morning, this evening I managed to connect my TV to Tubi, via my iPad and play the first episode of Midsomer Murders. I dicovered Tubi's free service yesterday - with the first 15 series of MM. I hadn't tried to connect it until this evening. I had expected to have to watch them on my iPad mini, but it transfers easily to the TV screen.

Guess I won't be needing Netflix for a few weeks. I've always wanted to watch Midsomer Murders in order.

While watching, I've been playing with my Owl Service embroidery. I've undone a bit. It's trial and error to work out how to get the effect I want. 

It's fun. Simply messing about with stitches.


No comments:

Post a Comment