Search This Blog

Thursday 11 February 2021

Post 350 Asking the experts

Late this afternoon Black Tips paid a visit. I haven't put seed out for several days, but it doesn't put him off. He got jittery when I tried to open the door to give him the last of the seed in my container, so I let him be.Tomorrow I shall refresh the water and put out the remaining seed.

Half an hour before I was due to leave for Pilates, the postie delivered a parcel - my kit for the Inspirations Remembrance poppy project in the latest issue. It arrived in this box - 32cmx27cmx12cm. I buzzed the postie in. She left it in the entry foyer and I went down and picked it up. 

Inside was another box, some 22cmx16cmx5cm and inside that was the kit, some 15cmx10cmx1cm in a plastic bag.  Had this been delivered half an hour later, I would have been on my way to Pilates. The parcel would then be taken to the local post office where I could pick it up after 4pm.

I have emailed Inspirations suggesting they offer customers the option of postage in padded post bags that fit easily into letterboxes.

I finished Pilates at 2pm. I had arranged to meet Christine Bishop at the Guild at 3pm, to show her Nelly's Bulgarian embroidery collection. I filled in the hour between by having lunch at the Queen St Cafe, my usual Atlantic Salmon with salad and beetroot dressing. It is really delicious and very healthy.

At the Guild it was the change over period between the Open Day group and the Open Evening group. The half a dozen people there were very interested in the Bulgarian collection. I am in the process of putting together a document for Nelly so won't go into great detail here. 
In summary, I think I established that 
(1) the older pieces of embroidery by Vala Georgieva are worked on hand-woven hemp
(2) 3 or 4 of those older pieces are very beautiful and collectable
(3) they include a range of traditional stitches and motifs
(4) the collection of Miche Todorova is all crocheted and displays a high level of skill. The patterns are not common.










This piece of crochet was much admired by those with knowledge of crochet.
There was some debate about how it was achieved, and whether it was knitted or crocheted. It was established that yes, it is crocheted and Christine explained how.










There was a lot of admiration, too, for this border. 

I think I have enough information to do a reasonable job of documenting. I have more photographs to take and a bit to add to the PowerPoint. Christine also suggested a couple of reference books on the stitches. 

It reached 33C in Adelaide today, below the 38 forecast. After lunching out I had crackers with cheese and tomato slices for dinner. I washed the champagne flutes this morning, so thought I should try one out. 

It works fine.  













I got a little done on the Owl Service. It's slow work because I have to work it out as I go, but it's a fun challenge.

It might be a bit focused for Sit'bStitch tomorrow. I may revert to my crochet squares.

No comments:

Post a Comment