Search This Blog

Saturday 13 February 2021

Post 352

As I drove home tonight from Katherine and Anthony's place there were fireworks in the distance - probably at Wayville Showground. I thought it might be to mark the Lunar New Year, but maybe it's part of the Monster Truck Rumble on there at the moment.
After I'd been home a while I found an eariler text message from a neighbour suggesting I look out of my balcony. By the time I saw the message, my neighbour would have been in bed. I think she was referring to this building, several blocks away - I think between Angus and Wakefield Streets towards Victoria Square. 

The upper floors appear to have been deliberately lit up so it appears to hover in Space.


It's a far cry from earlier in the day. I spent several hours this morning working on the Owl Service until I found myself running out of a particular green silk thread. It was over-dyed thread with a gold edge to it. Rather than run out over the weekend, I made a dash out to Create in Stitch to see what they had by way of replacement. 







I don't know where I got the thread from, or even what brand it was. 
It was wound on to a green thread holder. Samela, was, as ever, helpful. She thought the thread was Gloriana, and I'm inclined to agree. She didn't have an exact match but we're in the ball park. I was also after some gimp to edge the piece, but I was out of luck there.  I bought a couple of lengths of a twisted braid to try as substitute, but wasn't happy with it. I've since ordered some from Dale Rollerson.



Katherine has been working for a couple of years to establish a garden in their front yard, using wicking beds. It's been a long haul, but is finally paying off. It's looking really good.
Today was Anthony's birthday. He'd spent most of it at a Beginner's Bee-keeping Class. He had learned quite a lot. He cooked delicious pork and Katherine made a very delicious cake from Jim's collection of recipes. It has marshmallow melted into the middle, forming a kind of nougat layer.

Candle-blowing at the moment, of course, has to be separated from cake. 

It was lovely to be able to be there for Anthony's birthday.

I had been to the supermarket on my way home from Create in Stitch and bought the ingredients for Monday's dinner - or so I thought. I made a list - fetta, cheddar, filo pastry, eggs - and clean forgot the pasta!
I'll go and get it tomorrow.

Here's where I've ended up with my Owl Service tonight. It's slow, experimental work, but I'm getting there.There's still a way to go, but it's working out. 

 









Hopefully I have enough of the right thread to get me through the weekend. It gets exciting as I begin to see it taking shape and the original idea emerging into some kind of reality. 

I am, I think, on a roll. 

It's also late again. I will need to adjust the time for the email notifications to go out - and remember to move it back in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment