Search This Blog

Saturday 2 May 2020

Post 66: Crewel Day

There’s not much variety in today.s post. It’s pretty much crewel work all the way.. I didn’t go out but stitched the remainder of the Mellerstain screen and listened to an audio version of Tracy Chevalier’s A Single Thread. I’m enjoying the book

I worked my way through the remaining hummocks, grasses  and the bottom edge. I think this might be the most enjoyable piece I have ever embroidered. Embroidering something I have designed myself doesn't count. The enjoyment of that is of a different kind. But in terms of a prepared design, this has been deeply satisfying. I’m  surprised, because there are so many small components which I thought might be frustrating, but it has proved quite the opposite.

I worked the interior of the hummocks first, and then  the outlines and grasses..



This lower section looked quite different when finished - less busy, more harmonious.








I  removed it from the roller frame. I must say I haven’t really enjoyed using the frame. I chose it because it was very wide. Narrower ones didn’t work.






It does give a smoother finished fabric, but I need to block it anyway. I certainly prefer working with a seated  hoop. 

I was feeling tired when I finished it so thought I’d take a break before blocking.  Much more relaxing to prepare for my next project, which I thought might be the Anna Scott bag in the most recent issue of Inspirations. Earlier in the week I had assembled the magazine, linen, lining and my light box. What I hadn’t sorted was the threads. I figured I must have enough Appleton’s wools to do it, if I were to sort them. 



I’m not sure that it wouldn’t have been more relaxing to have blocked the finished piece!

I sorted them by numbers - putting them into bags by hundreds, and removing any that are listed for Anna’s project. I then checked the Appleton’s colour chart online and chose substitutes for the colours  I didn’t have.



It’s been a chilly, Grey day here in Adelaide, although it finished rather nicely. I haven’t been checking on the dove since this morning when she appeared soon after the seed. There was  a lot of water around after last nights rain. By the end of the day the seed had all gone,.




I put  the materials for the Anna Scott bag aside and retuned to the owl bag I had worked while travelling. Midsomer Murders and Death in Paradise got me through the sorting process and dinner and I have called on Volume 2 of the Lord Peter Whimsey Series 2 CD set I bought last year to help me through the owl. It's the Unpleasantness at the Bellona Club.







Neither the CD nor the owl is very demanding.

Just the ticket!


No comments:

Post a Comment