Search This Blog

Monday 11 May 2020

Post 75 Sampler and scones

Most of today I occupied myself embroidering the second side of the bag I am making as a sampler.  It is designed to illustrate some of the stitches used as part of a trousseau brought to Australia in 1951 from Italy by Maria Grazia Carmina, the mother of a friend of mine.

Carmina died in 2017. Her daughters generously allowed me access to her embroidery. I have photographed and documented it in a small book, The Embroidery of Maria Grazia Carmina and her Family published through Blurb. A free electronic copy is also available.


I am working a bag to illustrate some of the stitches. Today's were mostly padded satin stitch, stem stitch and shadow work.









My reverse cycle air conditioning has been heating a bit erratically. Before I call in a service company I wanted to experiment a bit. It was a cool morning, convenient to play with the heat settings. I got it to work quite well this morning.

Such progress this morning called for a reward, so I had a go at making scones. I am no scone maker. However I found a 3 ingredient recipe a couple of weeks ago and bought lemonade and cream in readiness. The third ingredient, self-raising flour, I had in my pantry. 

They were edible, but hardly a success.  I shall buy some fresh ingredients (including flour!) and try again.

A brief message on my network says that Jennifer has had her nasogastric tube removed today and is doing well. Susan is back in her Adelaide apartment in self-isolation.




It was an irresistible  sunset.











I am now working the hemstitching and eyelets for the drawstring on the bag.

Tomorrow I have a big day - a haircut!



No comments:

Post a Comment