Search This Blog

Sunday 17 May 2020

Post 81 Hexies all day long

The dove came down to get her seeds this morning before I had closed the door to go back inside. I was in the doorway, but both the glass door and the fly screen door were still open. I managed to slowly get my phone and take a photo. She pecked until I quietly closed the door, during which action she hesitated, but resumed once the door was closed.

Either growing trust or desperation.






I had a 10 am Zoom book club meeting. This is a local Crime Book Club that I have recently been invited to join. For a few years the meeting has been held in a coffee shop in an inner city suburb and there are hopes that this habit can be resumed in 5 week's time. There were a few technical hitches with the Zoom, but once underway it was an interesting and relaxed hour. Today's books for discussion were Australian, Boxed by Richard Anderson and The Portrait of Molly Dean by Katherine Kovacic.

I particularly liked Boxed.






It was another lovely Autumn day here so after the bookclub meeting I did a bit of watering and tidying on my balconies. The aloe flower is looking good.

Jennifer will be pleased to see that our aspidistra is looking fresh and healthy.

I was caught up in bits of research for my brother when I realised there was a message from Katherine to say that Veronica was making cup cakes and inviting me to afternoon tea. I abandoned the research and headed off to catch up on family news.


The cupcake was delicious. It is, I think, a clever assignment. Students have to cook something and make a video explaining the process in Spanish. No food has to be taken to school, and the food does not have to be Spanish. It is an exercise in using Spanish to explain a process.

During the bookclub meeting and the cupcake visit I was able to keep tacking hexies.
At the time of writing I now have 15 hexie "flowers" ready to applique to my quilt, 39 bundles of 6 individual hexies tacked ready to stitch together into "flowers" and a further 7  bundles of 2" square fabric ready to be tacked (not in the photo). This should give me enough to finish edging my quilt. I might have found this a daunting but this morning my friend Christine in Watford sent me her hexie story which puts my task into perspective. I'll share that story tomorrow.




I'm hoping that I might tack the last 7 bundles tomorrow and begin stitching the remaining "flowers" together.  I haven't decided whether to begin appliqueing when I have enough to finish one side or wait until I have all 60 finished.


At the end of the day, as I was closing up the balcony door, the dove returned to clean up the remaining seed. Once again, it seemed that my presence was the signal.

130 years after Pavlov's observations with dogs. I think I might have further evidence for classical conditioning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment