Search This Blog

Saturday 13 June 2020

Post 108; rain and cold water

It rained overnight, and continued this morning, but Turtle - and Myrtle - turned up hopefully. I opened the door to put out seed. Turtle backed up a bit, but Myrtle flew off, returning once I had gone inside.  They fed for ten minutes or so completely disregarding the water and drops of rain.

They returned a couple of hours later for another round. After a few minutes Myrtle took off again.  I noticed then that Turtle was absolutely still. Looking up, I noticed the Noisy Miner sitting on the rail, watching Turtle.










Fortunately I was camera-ready and managed to catch it.









The Noisy Miner looked positively evil!

I decided not to wait to see the outcome of the intimidation, opened the door and waved my hand. They both flew off, the dove ahead of the Miner.

10 minutes later Turtle was back to finish his brunch. I'm not sure what the story is with the Miner. It is not interested in the seed, but definitely has a negative impact on doves.

The other drama this morning was discovering, when I went to shower, that there was no hot water. I checked with my neighbour and they had none either so I rang our Pod Rep, who checked hers and then reported it to the Strata Presiding Officer. By 4pm, when I had heard no update, I decided to boil a jug to wash my hair. I can manage without a shower for a day - but my hair needed washing and dirty hair I can't stand. As I was filling the jug I ran the hot water and lo! it was back. As I washed my hair the message came through to say the hot water was back on. I'm really grateful for that.

It continued pretty miserable outside. There was no break (that I noticed) in the grey.

I managed to read quite a bit of my book

( a Mark East mystery by Hilda Lawrence, written in the 1940s recently reprinted by Agora books from whom I have a review copy)








before settling in with my knitting as the sun went down and Midsomer Murders came on the ABC at 5.30, followed by the News and Shakespeare and Hathaway. After that I endured one episode of Cold Case on Netflix before switching to the last of my Lord Peter Wimsey series DVDs - Five Red Herrings. I only allowed myself one episode and switched to Would I Lie to You






My knitting progress didn't quite match my target of two bands but I did get well into the second band. I also varied the pattern slightly on the quince band. Absolute repetition is, I'm sure, not good for my brain.

There is more rain forecast for tomorrow, so I hope to finish this pattern repeat.


There are so many projects calling to me - but I have tied myself to the mast of this scarf for the duration.

No comments:

Post a Comment